BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Default Pre- vs. Post-Workout Nutrition

Q&A on the main site
Unread 02-11-2011, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the article!

Quote:
So again, the answer is that it depends. Certainly there is some logic, that you raise, to having nutrients in the systme during and right after training by consuming something right before workout. But this is complicated by whether or no you’ve eaten a whole-food meal in the few hours before your training. As above, if you’ve eaten within 2-3 hours, I wouldn’t bother with anything before your workout.
- Typo - "systme"
- I believe you meant "not"

I also think the second sentence sounds a little funky - perhaps it is because of an extra comma.

You need two main exercises:
1. table push aways: When you start to get full, just push away from the table
2. Head shakes: when someone offeres you food not on your diet, twist your head right and then left and repeat going 'No thank you'.

Getting a 6 pack is mostly about losing fat.
Unread 02-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Whoops on all three counts. I took out that weird hanging phrase. You're right, structure was funky. Thanks!
Unread 02-11-2011, 11:50 AM

Interesting Q&A. More a comment than a question from an early morning workout person that further demonstrates “it depends”…

As a 5am workout guy, I try to get this right and the answer can vary. Trial and error has been my guide. From bed to the gym is only about 20 minutes for me. I’ll have some whey protein with low fat milk and maybe a banana prior to lifting weights. Not so much because I think it helps my training or recovery but because I hate to feel hungry when lifting. Hunger pangs and squats just don’t go well. But I have lifted in the morning with nothing but coffee in me and done fine. My own experience is that my diet the other 23 hours of every day is more important. Some whey protein and ground up steel cut oats in a shaker cup in my gym bag has been my post-workout staple.

Running is completely different. Eating immediately before a morning run just never worked. I know lots of people that do eat prior to a morning run and have no problems. Me, I’d get stomach cramps, side stitches and feel bloated. Years ago I tried a pre-workout shake (I won’t link the brand but it was a mix of whey and carbs and some fats) before a run and I think I ended up hyperglycemic. Felt whoosy and out of breath, like I was going to collapse 2 miles in. Had to cut it short and jog-walk home.

Out of necessity, I began running on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. This ended up helping me tremendously when I began marathon training. As I ran longer and longer, I was training my body to use fuel efficiently. It also made me keep my pace down. I ran my last 20 miler on nothing but a small coffee and water. And I was able to finish that training run fast. Of course I ate sensibly the night before but nothing in the morning prior to my 6:30 am start. And no Gatorade or Gus during. Just water. When I ran the marathon 3 weeks later fully equipped with a light breakfast, GUs and Gatorade, I never even came close to hitting a wall and my last 2 miles were my fastest.

So yeah, it depends. YMMV.
Unread 02-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Administrator

The comment re: running is especially important. Running is different than cycling due to the physical jostling that occurs. That's on top of individual variance. I"ve seen folks that can eat a big meal and train intensely, others can't have anything in their stomach.

For the Q&A I was coming at it from the standpoint of growth and weight training but your comments are definitely relevant in a global sense.
Unread 02-11-2011, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the timely awesome article Lyle. I just posted this on my fb wall and my hunch tells me the same so far.
Unread 02-11-2011, 10:18 PM

Thumbs up

This is one of the articles I've enjoyed the most of this site.
Unread 02-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Banned

"I would mention that a small percentage of people seem to get rebound blood sugar issues from consuming rapidly digesting nutrients right before a workout; if you’re one of them you’ll want to wait until you start warming up to eat anything. Exercise blunts insulin response and waiting until your warm-up to start eating anything limits the possibility of a negative blood glucose response."

nice article lyle..i have read your be all end all guide on protein nutrition the protein book cover to cover..i follow your around wo guidelines..

there are times i need to wo early morning and i had similar blood sugar crash during those wo consuming only carb/protein drink..didnt too well after warm ups as well due to bloatedness..

like few of those brave souls you knew i can add some olive oil to the drink to keep the carb absorption steady..i have always had my energetic wo when i included some fat/fiber in the pre wo meal..

what is opinion on impact of pre wo fat on nutrient absorption if pre wo fats improve performance in the weight room for those insulin resistant people ? or has it been studied before?
Unread 12-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Michaelutix

Default Pre vs Post Workout Nutrition

Any suggestions? Right now for my pre-workout Im using Shotgun and it seems to give me a good boost during my workout. Afterwards I chug some Monster Milk. Good stuff?