BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielle View Post
2nd paragraph under 'Consistency':
Got it, thanks.
Unread 07-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Part 3
Unread 07-14-2011, 08:32 AM

"Beahvior" at the end of the first paragraph in Correcting Leash Pulling: Part 2.
Unread 07-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Thank you
Unread 07-14-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popupwindow View Post
I thought skinners' basic reward/punishment system studied in birds and other animals was ditched for use in explaining human behaviour decades ago?
Skinner didn't develop basic reward and punishment "systems" in the sense that you are referring -- He advocated a more dynamic interaction of the environment and the organism, building off of more reductionist approaches (such as those furthered by John Watson and the early so-called methodological behaviorists).

I certainly hope that human behavior can be both predicted and controlled in the same sense that it can across every other biological species; otherwise, I am clean out of work (I work in a behavioral health department of a hospital, wherein we apply these fundamental principles of learning which Lyle outlines in this series of articles to a variety of substance abuse and treatment contexts).

While human behavior, especially the ability to engage in more complex and abstract verbal behavior makes the pursuit of understanding the functional relationship between events much more difficult, it is not an impossible task. Modern behaviorism deals with probabilistic events, not determinism as it is so often misunderstood.

The underlying assumptions of behavioral thought have yet to be disproved. No, they are not exactly in the vogue right now (and they have always been antithetical to a culture which values both individualism and big "F" free will).

I'm really happy to see behavioral principles applied to exercise habits -- one of the studies that my department is currently running is looking at effecting lifestyle changes in sedentary individuals by rewarding them contingent upon walking 10,000 steps/day. So far, the treatment is incredibly effective.

Awesome stuff, Lyle.
Unread 07-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Part 4
Unread 07-15-2011, 12:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to fundamentals

Just read part 4, I don't let my GF take pictures of me when I don't like something she does. That's negative punishment, just wondering, what would be an example of positive punishment? Please don't say "smash her camera."
Unread 07-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Administrator

One thing maybe I should have clarified, the punishment or whatever doesn't have to automatically relate to the object. So whatever you do as positive punishment here doesn't have to be related to the camera. It just has to be something she doesn't like. Also, don't automatically assume punishment is required. If taking something she enjoys is sufficient to extinguish the behavior, don't mess around with positive punishment unless it's required.

Beyond that, I can't begin to understand the situation you're describing.
Unread 07-15-2011, 12:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to fundamentals

I don't like it when she hangs out with a guy she used to like but they're friends now since he rejected her. Still bothered me, as territorial as that might sound. But one day she took his picture and saved it on her computer, so as a punishment, I didn't let her take pictures of our date on 4th of July. Of me anyways.
Unread 07-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Don't be in a relationship with someone you don't trust.

Or get over yourself and stop being an insecure little boy. Because chicks don't find insecurity very attractive.