BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Default Why the US Sucks at Olympic Llifting

Part 1
Unread 08-01-2011, 08:08 AM

Paragraph 8 first sentence

Itís certainly not helping that US lifters are tested so often given the rampant drug us in the sport
Unread 08-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Yup, got it along with a few others. Thanks.
Unread 08-01-2011, 10:31 AM

Last sentence in introduction: "...at the very least I hope to define the problem in totality to answer the original question: Why the US sucks at Olympic Lifting?"

Nitpicking. If the question mark is in there "Why does the US suck at Olympic Lifting" makes more sense, or leave it as-is but replace the question mark with a period.
Unread 08-02-2011, 12:02 AM

In success leaves clues part: bunch of different sports as well as countries
Unread 08-02-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Nevermind that OL’ing at one point did recruit a guy (Shane Hamman, a 1000 lb squatter) with more strength coming out of one leg than most have in their entire body and he still couldn’t medal. Make no mistake, he held his own at the highest levels but being strong as all hell didn’t put him on the podium.
Certain people say Shane wasn't squatting and pulling heavy as he could have been, that he wasn't as strong as when he squatted a grand during his time at the OTC due to neglecting strength work. That Reza was far stronger still anyways.
Unread 08-02-2011, 04:04 AM

itís one where the 10th fastest Kenyan is still faster than the fastest non-Kenyan (in the menís events).

This needs to East African rather than Kenyan, or specifically include Ethiopians here. You've got Bekele and Gebrselassie here.

Seb Coe at 800m would definitely be a real contender today, so I don't agree that whites can win it. Less likely yes, but still possible.
Unread 08-02-2011, 04:42 AM

I've gone over the top men ever in 800m+, there's a reasonable amount of non-africans at 800m (Coe, Cruz, Borzakovskiy, Bucher, Rodal all top 10 ever) and at 1500m Cacho is the only top 10 who does not seem to be at least part african.

Beyond that it's all africans. Although there's also the North African's there.

So, I think we'll continue to see some 800m and 1500m Olympic medalists not being african. But 5000m+ will be very rare.
Unread 08-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msingh View Post
Certain people say Shane wasn't squatting and pulling heavy as he could have been, that he wasn't as strong as when he squatted a grand during his time at the OTC due to neglecting strength work. That Reza was far stronger still anyways.
Certain people are myopic idiots determined to prove their idiot thesis. And for every Rezza you've got a guy who's squatting 10kg over his best clean. Max strength is not the determinant most think. Certainly for some lifters it may be relatively more or less important but thinking it is the sole and solitary solution is myopic idiocy. But so is the person determined to prove that thesis.
Unread 08-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxw View Post
I've gone over the top men ever in 800m+, there's a reasonable amount of non-africans at 800m (Coe, Cruz, Borzakovskiy, Bucher, Rodal all top 10 ever) and at 1500m Cacho is the only top 10 who does not seem to be at least part african.

Beyond that it's all africans. Although there's also the North African's there.

So, I think we'll continue to see some 800m and 1500m Olympic medalists not being african. But 5000m+ will be very rare.
The 800 is a weird event, it's still short enough to not be pure endurance (1:43 or whatever) which may explain it. Or the east Africans just haven't focused on it as much. And I'll talk about the Olympics specifically in Part 2. Bottom line: there's not the kind of money in winning an Olympic medal compared to other events so by and large East Africans don't focus on it as much. They focus on big money races for the most part. The 1500 is also in that same strange middle ground.
Closed Thread