BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Kenya is a poor country and one year’s success on the international running circuit can earn a Kenyan more than they’d make in 10 years of working the farm.
This this just your guess or a fact? I don't know anything about income of elite runners (and I suppose Kenyans do not get as much advertisement money) but somehow I'd expect it to be a lot, lot more. I mean, we're talking about a country with average $1,600 GDP per capita a year...
Unread 08-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Administrator

I listed sources for a reason and when I guess or speculate I will use the words guess or speculate.

But for example, winning the NY marathon in the open division is worth $130,000. $200,000 if you're the previous winner.

http://www.nycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/prize_money.htm

2nd place is worth $65,000
Unread 08-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle
During races, while they are always trying to win individually, if the situation won’t allow it, runners will help fellow Kenyans to be victorious, using tactics similar to what is seen in cycling to ensure that a Kenyan crosses first.
I don't understand? What do they do?
Unread 08-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeftansey View Post
I don't understand? What do they do?
You can rabbit, run fast and pull a fellow runner behind you in your windstream even though it means you won't finish the race. You can control the pack behind you, slowing it down to let your runner make a breakaway. you can make a breakaway to try to get someone to follow and exhaust themselves so your guy can win from behind. If you have enough runners, you can box someone in and let your guy get away. Stuff like that, just like in cycling.
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
I listed sources for a reason and when I guess or speculate I will use the words guess or speculate.
I'm sure you know this side of equation; I was just wandering if you also knew the average kenyan farmer income, when you made the "10 years" comparison.

Because to me it seems rather like 100 years...
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljsiqbvjbjq View Post
I'm sure you know this side of equation; I was just wandering if you also knew the average kenyan farmer income, when you made the "10 years" comparison.

Because to me it seems rather like 100 years...
See my comments to cxw regarding pedantry and making a damn point and confusing the two. And realize that not all are going to win at the marathon level and there isn't as much money in other events.
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
See my comments to cxw regarding pedantry and making a damn point and confusing the two. And realize that not all are going to win at the marathon level and there isn't as much money in other events.
Sure, I get what you try to say. It's just that for a Kenyan farmer its not only a 10 times more but rather like a whole different planet. It's more likely that he wouldn't earn such money not just in 10 years but even not in his entire life + life of all his grandchildren if he stayed in Kenya...
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle
You can rabbit, run fast and pull a fellow runner behind you in your windstream even though it means you won't finish the race. You can control the pack behind you, slowing it down to let your runner make a breakaway. you can make a breakaway to try to get someone to follow and exhaust themselves so your guy can win from behind. If you have enough runners, you can box someone in and let your guy get away. Stuff like that, just like in cycling.
Is this regularly a large problem in running/cycling races? It seems like it would be really hard to formulate rules against it.
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljsiqbvjbjq View Post
Sure, I get what you try to say. It's just that for a Kenyan farmer its not only a 10 times more but rather like a whole different planet. It's more likely that he wouldn't earn such money not just in 10 years but even not in his entire life + life of all his grandchildren if he stayed in Kenya...
Fantastic. When I write an article specifically about Kenyan runners, I'll worry about it. Because, YET AGAIN, not everybody is winning the marathon and teh prizes aren't nearly as high in other events. Until then read the books I sourced and let this irrelevant pedantry go. Because whether it's 10 years or 100 years the point is freaking made: they do it for $$$$.
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeftansey View Post
Is this regularly a large problem in running/cycling races? It seems like it would be really hard to formulate rules against it.
Why would you need rules against things that are 100% legal in the sport? About the only thing that would break the rules is to physically impeded someone (i.e. in cycling if you take a line that blocks someone else you can get DQ'ed) or physically restrain them. But surrounding them isn't illegal by any fashion. And if you're leading the pack and want to run or ride slowly, that's your perogative. Folks can either run behind you or speed up and go faster assuming they can get around you.

Seriously, have you ever watched auto racing? Same thing. If I'm driving in front of you and go slowly, it's not illegal. You can either stay behind me or speed up. If I physically bump into you, that's an issue. IF me and 2 teammates have you surrounded front and sides, that's just too bad. Learn to drive more tactically or suck it up.
Closed Thread