BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Default Ammonia Smell During Exercise on Ketogenic Diets

Q&A on the main site
Unread 10-21-2011, 04:41 PM

"I have recently started a high protein slow carb diet,am drinking between 3 and 4 litres of water a day"
This should be "low carb". I also had/have the same problem but I only get the smell when running during winter or in cold weather, never in warm/hot weather. In fact, I had the smell in early spring this year and from memory, protein was over 100 grams and carbs around 200 or so. My intake of carbs is now in the 300-400 grams a day, curious if the smell doesn't come back.
Unread 10-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Actually no, it is slow carb, as per the genius brain of one marketing guru tim ferriss.
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:04 PM

Wow, I feel like an idiot. Maybe its a good thing I'm a little naive to other fad diets. Just read something by him on how to lose 20 pounds in 30 days by eliminating white carbs. Anyways, don't want to get off track.
Unread 06-05-2014, 09:21 PM

Interesting. Sweat used to smell like ammonia never have it two thoughts. Wasn't low carb but I assume the breakdown of proteins may still be the cause regardless.
Unread 06-08-2014, 10:59 PM

I remember learning in biology that one of multiple causes could be due to the amino group of amino acids that is left over after gluconeogenesis (creation of carbs from non carb sources,in this case amino acids). If you are doing a low carb diet then your body is likely using some protein for energy, thus the ammonia smell. Of course, there are other causes as well, but this seems the most likely in your situation