BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Protein Book
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Yes, for example, creatine will jack up water weight and this will show up as LBM by most body composition measures. This was how the original scam artists could claim '5 lbs LBM in a week'.

I remember one of the Almada boys trying to convince me at an NSCA conference that it was real muscle. Sure, buddy, sure.

I can do 7 lbs with a proper carb-load. But it doesn't mean anything.
Unread 02-06-2009, 10:50 PM

i lose 4lbs a night. give me a product to claim is responsible!

trimspa babaaaay!
Unread 02-07-2009, 03:55 AM

I snorted Xtend straight from the tub after my leg workout yesterday.

Today I'm up 5lbs. My face is really swollen, though.

Funny thing about Layne is how he preaches about the refractory response to BCAA intake (which I agree with), then goes on to recommend a pre-WO meal, Xtend both pre-, during (I've seen conflicting advice on this though) and immediately post-workout, followed by a post-WO meal. That would pretty much keep amino acid levels constantly elevated for 5-6hrs. Why not hook up to an IV drip and be done with it?
Unread 02-10-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTrainer View Post
Not just gained 9 lbms of LBM in 8 weeks, they also LOST 4 lbs of fat.

This stuff is way better than roids!

Hell, even the whey and gatorade groups both gained LBM and lost fat. Methinks something is fishy...
of course it is, the study hasn't even gone through peer review yet, and won't until July, yet BB.com will have several months to pimp their #1 selling product. This is one of those too good to be true reports that immediately casts doubt to the study.

Alan didn't respond to that thread either.. so I wonder what he's going to say about it in the future since he's pretty skeptical about the effectivness of bcaa supplementation outside of sufficient protein intake.
Unread 02-11-2009, 07:59 AM

Of course water counts as lean muscle--In 24-48 hrs--you can carb up, take creatine and drink huge amounts of water and gain 10-12 lbs---but your fat skinfolds are the same --therefore--the extra weight counts as muscle
Unread 11-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikku View Post
hmm, does water count as 'lean body weight' aka 'muscle'? If so it'd explain how they could gain that much muscle without raising their lifts by much
Water will show up on many measurements as lean body mass which can be inapproriately described as muscle.

Years ago, I remember talking to a guy involved with early creatine pimping. I had read the studies and knew the rapid gain, while LBm ,was water. He tried to tell me up and down 'No, it's actual muscle tissue.'

NO, it's not.

A lot of supplements will throw in creatine to get these kinds of results. The early 'low-cal' weight gainers did it. You get quick 'non-fat' weight gain which people love. But it's all fake. It's like carb-loading after depletion, gaining 7 lbs of water and going 'See, I put 7 lbs of muscle on you.'
Unread 10-27-2010, 03:57 AM

Lyle, is your position WRT BCAA still the same?

In that if protein from varied sources is adequate it seems to do jack, other than hurt the wallet of course...
Unread 10-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Pretty much, yes. There was one study in enduros showing that, even with adequate protein intake, extra BCAA helped with immune system function during heavy training. Beyond that (and some of martin's fasted uses I suppose)
Unread 03-21-2011, 11:45 AM

I thought this was a interesting study on BCAA's with glycogen-depleted subjects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21297567

I personally use Xtend as my BCAA supplement and I have to say that xtend does noticeably help when I'm doing a RFL diet.
Unread 03-21-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dece870717 View Post
I thought this was a interesting study on BCAA's with glycogen-depleted subjects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21297567

I personally use Xtend as my BCAA supplement and I have to say that xtend does noticeably help when I'm doing a RFL diet.
Since I started using Xtend over the summer, I have noticed an improvement with my stamina and strength in the gym - it's subtle, but it's there. Keep in mind, I train fasted in the morning so that might be why it seems to help me. Perhaps sipping on WPI during a workout may do the same thing but it's not going to be as refreshing.

Last edited by josh_67 : 03-21-2011 at 01:20 PM.