BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Default Reps per set for optimal growth

Article on the main site
Unread 02-07-2009, 08:36 AM

Excelent article.

When you say that with sets of more than 8 reps the high threshold motor units don't get recruited until the last part of the set, are you asuming an explosive concrentic?. Is it possible to recruit "all" muscle fibers with an intensity of 70% if you produce the maximun force you can (lifting the fastest)?.
Unread 02-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Maybe.
Unread 02-07-2009, 12:13 PM

Waterbury said so, LIFT FAST - GET MEGA HUGE!!!
Unread 02-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGenetix View Post
Waterbury said so, LIFT FAST - GET MEGA HUGE!!!
My arms went from 14" to 19" by doing 100 reps per day of super fast bicep curls.
Unread 02-07-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTrainer View Post
My arms went from 14" to 19" by doing 100 reps per day of super fast bicep curls.
Well my elbows have 270 degree ROM from doing it like that.
Unread 02-08-2009, 06:17 AM

More and more research points to both fiber recruitment and rate coding are important when subjecting the muscle to tension overload, so working closer to - but not actually hitting failure - is recommended. Once rep speed drops, terminate the set. You may maintain a high level of MVC/rate coding by limiting rest periods and doing shorter sets on subsequent sets after that first "activation" set.

There is both a minimum threshold volume, and optimal range (obviously), but more importantly a maximum volume where several events take place which will inhibit an optimal growth response and prolong recovery.
Unread 02-08-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
More and more research points to both fiber recruitment and rate coding are important when subjecting the muscle to tension overload, so working closer to - but not actually hitting failure - is recommended. Once rep speed drops, terminate the set.
Could you point me in the direction of any of this research? Thanks
Unread 02-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Administrator

I would note that I don't happen to agree with Blade on this particular issue, at least not wrt: hypertrophy.
Unread 02-08-2009, 08:48 AM

Color me confused too.

Is 'rate coding' similar to 'neurological' strength? Is it true this can be very different for many people?

This article came right on time for me as I've been trying to get away from the 'go-by-number of reps and/or total wt' only mindset and trying to increase repset length by increasing tempo on the positive contraction and decreasing on the eccentric part.
What's more, I've even added negatives by doing self-assisted 1-arm latpull downs.

From all the observations sofar, bodybuilders seem to thrive on negatives and invariably go beyond failure. Admittedly they are nearly all juiced and on 'bro-tarded' splits, but even naturals seem to do well on Doggcrapp training routines.

Not going to failure but increase # of sets (Max Stim?) is a very good way to speed up recovery and gain strength more consistently, even in the face of a deficit...but is it really the best strategy for optimal muscle gains (when bulking)?