BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Guar gum (a soluble fiber) goes well in yogurt but don't use too much or it turns into a brick.
Unread 02-17-2009, 12:17 AM

xantham gum in any shake makes it thick as a milkshake, but again, gotta be moderate
Unread 02-18-2009, 12:39 AM

Lyle, thank you for this article.

I never knew about liver glycogen and fructose. I will try adding fruit back into my diet. I stayed away because I feared the sugars would create more hunger.
Unread 02-18-2009, 04:04 AM

In case fruit does increase appetite I'm pretty sure it only does for people who are in (deep) ketosis, which generally blunts appetite much more than filling up liver glycogen does.
Apples are notorious for having that effect: either people feel their appetite lessens or they get hungrier from them.

As for fiber: a good one is inulin as it's both a soluble fiber and a pre-biotic. Dannon used to add it to their yoghurts until they were bought by Unilever and Unilever decided to increase profits by taking out 1 bacteria strain and the inulin.

IF: severely dislike the 'Fast-till-5' approach as it leads to overeating every time.. if it had worked, I'd never have been fat as this is what I did for over 10 years. Best results: fast in between breakfast and 6pm when you're too busy to eat anyway.. frees up calories for a nice & big meal prior to bedtime.

Last edited by Espi : 02-18-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
Lyle, thank you for this article.

I never knew about liver glycogen and fructose. I will try adding fruit back into my diet. I stayed away because I feared the sugars would create more hunger.
I'm sure this is what Espi posted but some people seem to get hunger stimulated from the 'sweetness' of fruit. Well, she does anyhow. But she's always been a binge eater so her n=1 is fairly irrelevant.
Unread 02-18-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
I'm sure this is what Espi posted but some people seem to get hunger stimulated from the 'sweetness' of fruit. Well, she does anyhow. But she's always been a binge eater so her n=1 is fairly irrelevant.
there's also studies that show artificial sweeteners such as splenda and stevia can increase hunger due to their sweet taste. don't ask me to produce them, i just remember reading abstracts.
Unread 02-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGenetix View Post
there's also studies that show artificial sweeteners such as splenda and stevia can increase hunger due to their sweet taste. don't ask me to produce them, i just remember reading abstracts.
Its' more complicated than that and depends on teh person and how they are eaten (e.g. by themselves vs. with foods).
Unread 02-18-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
You misquoted me. I've not experienced this, was referring to someone else. For me apples are wonderful foods.. and even dates are not a problem, even eat them on very low kcal days.
Cheese OTOH is most definitely a triggerfood.
Unread 02-18-2009, 01:27 PM

The fruit thing is a big factor for me.. I foolishly decided to do an easy 500 cal/day cut from my diet last summer of 2 pieces of fruit 1 cup of rice and switched from whole to skim milk, and ended up feeling like I was starving 2/3 of the day. I have since cut cals from other sources and ended up feeling only slighly hungry before lunch.
Unread 02-18-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGenetix View Post
conversely, satiating the sweet tooth may have a desirable effect