BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default Measuring Body Composition

Part 1 on the main site
Unread 03-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Part 2 on the Main site
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:56 PM

Didn't want to start a new thread so i'll ask it here -
For the skinfold test - do you dig in till you prod something firm then pull and measure?
Unread 03-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Administrator

I believe, as indicated in the article, the specifics of caliper measurements are detailed in ONE OF THE LINKS I PROVIDED>
Unread 03-10-2009, 08:47 AM

Just for information, I have read on other sites that many universities in the US offer Bod pod measurements to the public using machines that they have in their research facility. I give this link as an example:
http://www.suu.edu/tfit/assessments.html#ia.

Unfortunately I am not aware of anyone in the UK doing this at the moment.
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:42 AM

Default Thanks

I have a Bioelectrical impedance Analysis measurement that has been giving me readings of 12% body fat (which I am no where near). After reading this article I completely understand that it is because I am on RFL. So, I am dehydrated due to low carbs. Thank you for the article. I will have to learn how to use calipers or find another way to measure body fat while I am on this diet. Thanks again!

Question: How long would it take to rehydrate my body by eating a normal amount of carbs daily to get a normal reading out of the BIA?
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:49 AM

Or simply don't worry about it (bf% estimations) and use a mirror and scale (weight).
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlakramondas View Post
Or simply don't worry about it (bf% estimations) and use a mirror and scale (weight).
Well.... duh... lol if I was satisfied tracking with a mirror and a scale, I wouldn't have asked the question.

Edit: I sound like a dick... lol sorry.... thanks for the input... but I want to estimate bf% in addition to scale and mirror tracking.

Last edited by simpleman : 06-12-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
Well.... duh... lol if I was satisfied tracking with a mirror and a scale, I wouldn't have asked the question.

Edit: I sound like a dick... lol sorry.... thanks for the input... but I want to estimate bf% in addition to scale and mirror tracking.
Bioimpedance is +/- 8% in individuals. DXA is +/- 5% in individuals. So even if you are willing to pay $100 for DXA, if it says you are 15% all you know is that you are between 10% and 20%.

Bioimpedance isn't even decent for tracking changes over time, as you have noticed.

If you seriously want to estimate bodyfat and you aren't willing to get DXA, get some calipers. Those at least have the potential to be decent at tracking changes over time.
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:40 AM

Ya I bought calipers. I just wanted to use as many methods and use the average to track.. But 13% was way to inaccurate.. Def returning the bia to amazon. My dads scale said I was 26% which is a lot closer to what I probably am then my POS handheld that I got off amazon that said I was 10% or 13% lol. I just wanted something to measure other than body weight. Thanks. I guess I should just not use BIA or get a BIA scale like my dads which seems to be a little more accurate in addition to using calipers and measuring girth.