BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-29-2009, 03:59 AM
Banned

this one is pretty simple

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...to-your-lifts/
Unread 04-29-2009, 06:12 AM

Faleev programs (mentioned in previous posting) are crap! Beware!

There is nothing good in 5x5 linear cycle ala McRobert.
The weekly schedule is poor.
His advanced cycles are bad (not listed in the article).
He has a lot of crazy ideas besides sports..

We had a long Internet discussion with him before he published his last book. So he added the "Cycles" chapter and exclude the chapter concerning worms and their effect on sport performance...
Unread 04-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Banned

In the context of a cutting diet, 5 sets and out of the gym is appealing. I think I could do that most days, like day 1 squat, day 2 bench, 3 dead, 4 bench and repeat, days off as necessary.

In the context of calorific excess, a big programme as described in this thread is doable.
Unread 04-29-2009, 08:11 AM

maybe yes - maybe no..
If you train for PL, the program must obey some PL-specific laws or it would be ineffective...

by the way I've gone through full blown 5x5 program with 3 consequent load cycles on a relatively low caloric diet. I've went down from appr 107 to 100,3 kilos BW. And to my surprise I've added to my PL-sum. But it is definitely not for e.g. RFL diet. The diet was smth like DiPasqualy's Metabolic.
Unread 04-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Banned

Sounds like we are on a similar level.
I have totalled over 600k unequipped under 100k bodyweight.

done 582,5 under 90k

I am now at 93 k and trying to get poundages up so I can get 600k under 90. so I need to lose about a kilo and then the rest will come off on the eve of any comp I may do, presuming I get the strength up there.

I have just come off UD2 and am just under maintainance calories now, so maybe the intermediate 5x5 programme would be my best bet, and just tweak it week by week depending on how I perform. perhaps I need the advanced programme, but I think ill just try the intermediate to make sure, no point in going to the last option straight away.
Unread 05-11-2009, 03:22 AM
Banned

http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40333

bill starr stuff
Unread 06-13-2009, 12:28 PM

Default 5x5 (starting strength) during fat loss regime.

I was torn about placing this post in this thread or a fat loss thread, I even think I posted is a comment on part 2 of the fat loss primers by Lyle but it dissappeared, maybe exactly because it was irrelevant.

So, here goes:

Having virtually never lifted weights before, I really like the principle of thought behind low rep/heavy full body regimes, especially Rippetoe's Starting Strength (a truly great book too!).

Anyways, I'm 27 years old/5'10''/200lbs @23% fat after a month of following a ketogenic diet (~50gr carbs) with a moderate caloric deficit (-20%), which I feel great being on.

I was wondering how would incorporating Starting Strength to my current diet and cardio (3x steady state/week) would affect my results or if the current dieting phase is counter-intuitive to the program. What I am hoping to accomplish is a steady loss of fat, the preservation of as much muscle as I can, and the CNS/endocrine/hormonal adaptations the program claims to bring in terms of strength would of course be very welcome.

Thoughts, advice would be greatly appreciated.

D.
Robert Heinlein: A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Unread 06-13-2009, 01:25 PM

well if you can handle more carbs then I would say to do the program as follows, eat more carbs around training and maintain the 20% deficit. Chances are you will experience teh newb phenom. grow muscles and lose body fat at the same time.

Last edited by jc : 06-13-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: I suk @ tipying onn teh interweebz
Unread 06-13-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jissues View Post

Anyways, I'm 27 years old/5'10''/200lbs @23% fat after a month of following a ketogenic diet (~50gr carbs) with a moderate caloric deficit (-20%), which I feel great being on.

I was wondering how would incorporating Starting Strength to my current diet and cardio (3x steady state/week) would affect my results or if the current dieting phase is counter-intuitive to the program. What I am hoping to accomplish is a steady loss of fat, the preservation of as much muscle as I can, and the CNS/endocrine/hormonal adaptations the program claims to bring in terms of strength would of course be very welcome.

Thoughts, advice would be greatly appreciated.

D.

I'm 25 years old, 180 lbs, 23 - 25% bf, and in my second phase of RFL. Been doing SS since January, and I have to say it works well on a low carb diet. Per the RFL book I usually sip on some gatorade&water during my workouts, and I've found this helps with energy levels. Before SS, I did a regular 5X5 program on RFL, but it was waaay too much volume. SS's 3X5 seems to be the sweet spot for me, and it's relatively light volume. I imagine a moderate deficit like you're on shouldn't give you too many problems energy-wise(if any). Keep in wind I am taking an EC stack, so that might skew this info a bit when it comes to energy levels.

Strength gains have been steady, and I'm pretty sure muscle has been pretty much preserved for the most part.(god, that's an ugly sentence)

Last edited by tony_salvi : 06-13-2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spellin n stuff
Unread 06-14-2009, 05:48 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply, that was a nice bunch of motivation and info there.
Cheers
Robert Heinlein: A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.