BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-10-2014, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Default Of BMI and Weighing Frequency

Article/video on the main site
Unread 04-10-2014, 12:31 PM

Great expansion on the post you wrote in the No longer obese: success traits thread. Thanks also for tracking down the Happy Scale app that applies a trend line to fluctuating daily scale weight readings.

Great comment by commenter J B on the article, about water fluctuations in women. Excerpt:

Quote:
After I read your article about how women’s hormones affect water retention and mask weight loss I began tracking my weight and its moving average with my monthly cycle, too. I just do this in excel, with a new plot for each cycle and the graphic of the hormonal cycle (taken from your article) in the chart background.

It has been incredibly useful to see these plots. I have found that my weight stalls for several days before ovulation and before my period, and drops more rapidly after each. It is much easier to keep to my diet when I don’t see the scale move for a week (or even go up) when I know approximately when to expect it to begin dropping again. It also explains very clearly why I tend to lose more weight every other week (maybe 1-2 pounds one week, then 3-4 the next). I have noticed this pattern in the past when I have dieted and only weighed myself once a week, and now I know that it is an artifact of my weekly weigh-ins landing in the middle of a stall or a whoosh.
This is the kind of info that keeps me here. Thanks.

— Mel
Unread 04-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Yeah, that thread prompted the video. I mainly wanted to get the April Fools piece off the front page since it would be less clear that I was joking....
Unread 04-10-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
I mainly wanted to get the April Fools piece off the front page since it would be less clear that I was joking....
Though I will forever treasure the relativistic explanation for how to evade thermodynamics.

Mel
Unread 09-18-2014, 09:36 PM

Default smoothed weighted average tool

I believe the Hacker's diet, by John Walker, founder of Autodesk, was mentioned in the main article. He has an online free version
http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/online/hdo.html

If you sign up then log your weight's there it does a fancy smoothing that's a bit more advanced than weighted average. It's explained in more detail in the book than anyone but a nerd like me would want to hear.

The book is entertaining only to read about John's own story. Otherwise there is not much useful info, beyond keep calories in < calories out, and the advice weigh your self often but look at the trend, don't get discouraged by day to day fluctuations.
Unread 09-20-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionichips2 View Post
I believe the Hacker's diet, by John Walker, founder of Autodesk, was mentioned in the main article. He has an online free version
I'm pretty sure neither this article nor any other one on the site made any such mention of Hackers, John Walker or Autodesk.
Unread 09-20-2014, 09:08 PM

sorry, your right. I didn't see it in the article it was in the 3rd comment to the article posted on April 11th, 2014 5:20 pm
Unread 09-21-2014, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yksin View Post
Though I will forever treasure the relativistic explanation for how to evade thermodynamics.

Mel
Indeed. One of my greatest moments and it saddens me that a diet book based around those principles would sell 10x as much as my real books.
Unread 09-21-2014, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the thread bump, bionichips2. Missed this one the first time around.

"I knew you before you knew you had hands" ~Tracey Brogan
Unread 09-21-2014, 10:42 PM

you're welcome. Even though I bumped it by mistake by responding to a comment to the article when I thought I was referring to the article itself

I, too, thought the article was useful