BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Default The 3500 Calorie Rule

On the main site
Unread 08-06-2015, 05:56 AM

Thank you, this is an amazingly useful article to try and explain how calories and weightloss work.
Unread 08-06-2015, 11:53 AM

Yeah, lots of really interesting stuff in there. Some stuff that I'm sure is referenced in other articles that I probably missed or didn't understand that now make sense to me. I thought particularly interesting was the 10/90 LBM/Fat loss example, which really drives home a point I've seen in other articles (about how weight loss centers have an incentive to have you lose LBM, since a small deficit can lead to a larger scale weight loss) but didn't entirely understand.

Also, the point about how much water tags along with stored carbs was interesting. This is a major "duh," but one of the parts that was confusing to me relates to the fact that for purposes of figuring out what a particular quantity of nutrient means for purposes of weight loss, there's usually a lot of conversion involving the energy stored. So, like you know 100 grams of fat is around 900 calories, and then the question is "what does that mean," and you have to convert energy to mass in the body, which we now learn depends on the kind of tissue one is talking about, etc. So, while I've probably read before that a gram of carbs stored in the body carries with it 3 to 4 grams of water, I wasn't entirely sure what that meant, because I thought there was math involved in figuring out "ok, what does 3 to 4 grams of water mean with respect to weight." The "duh" part, after reading the article, is that there is no conversion. A gram of water, obviously, weighs a gram, dummy! So, 100 grams of carbs requires math -- it's 400 calories, and that's the energy equivalent of 400/3500 lbs or so of fat, or 400/700 lbs or so of muscle, or the energy required to raise x litres of water y degrees, or whatever. But the water part is easy -- it carries along when stored about .65 pounds of water, which weighs . . . wait for it: .65 pounds!

Any way, really helpful article.