BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Default Of Whooshes and Squishy Fat

Article on the main site
Unread 05-07-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Iíd note that dry carb-loads suck because youíre so damn thirsty. Interestingly, even normal refeeds often work in this regards, perhaps the hormonal effect Ďtellsí the body to chill out and release some water. So not only do refeeds seem to improve stubborn fat mobilization the next day (as discussed above), they may help the body drop some water so that you can see what is happening.
I'm probably just misunderstanding you, but I thought that we should expect an increase in weight right after a refeed?

Quote:
As folks get very lean, down to the last pounds of fat, the skin and fat cells that are left will often change appearance and texture. It will look dimply (as the fat cells which are supporting the skin shrink and the skin isnít supported) and feel squishy to the touch. This is bad in that it looks really weird, but itís good because it means that the fat is going away. I have nothing truly profound to say about this topic, just realizes that it happens and usually indicates good things are happening.
Could someone in category 2 of RFL have this happen to them? I've noticed this "squishy" effect myself, and was worried that it might be loose skin coming about.
Unread 05-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Administrator

In general, refeeds tend to bump weight. Every so often strange things happen and you wake up lighter and/or leaner.
Unread 05-07-2009, 10:45 AM

Happened to me a few times
Mostly though weight would be up ever so slightly and go lower again 1 day later.
Unread 06-10-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post
Happened to me a few times
Mostly though weight would be up ever so slightly and go lower again 1 day later.
Same here for me Espi...

I am bringing this thread back up because I am now experiencing this Squishy thing. It's a real downer for sure because it looks like Recomp isn't working (4th week of UD2, my 2nd run). I am down 5 lbs as of beginning this 4th run and the current state of stomach area is making it a difficult week (you would think 5lbs of possible fat loss would make one happy). Problem is... I am not even sure the SQUISH is really fat loss or just loose skin being even looser? My wife thinks I should go for the tummy tuck surgery if it makes me this unhappy... surgery is my last option.
Unread 06-10-2009, 09:13 AM

This whoosh effect is what im hoping my wife is having very soon.

She's on her 2nd week of RFL, and even with a deficit of 1000+ cals/daily she's not down a pound at the moment. First week pre refeed she was down a few pounds (she really seems adept at holding the water), but then after refeed she went back up those pounds and they havent come off yet.

Sadly she's one of those types who are highly discouraged by the scale, so it's not happy times at the moment.

So, to see if I could help, I pulled out the tape measure and showed her that her arms have gone down in size. She also does know that her pants are looser too, but the scale not moving still gnaws at her.
Unread 06-10-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
Same here for me Espi...

I am bringing this thread back up because I am now experiencing this Squishy thing. It's a real downer for sure because it looks like Recomp isn't working (4th week of UD2, my 2nd run). I am down 5 lbs as of beginning this 4th run and the current state of stomach area is making it a difficult week (you would think 5lbs of possible fat loss would make one happy). Problem is... I am not even sure the SQUISH is really fat loss or just loose skin being even looser? My wife thinks I should go for the tummy tuck surgery if it makes me this unhappy... surgery is my last option.
How do you know when it is loose skin and when it is isn't?

And to what extent will the loose skin tighten up by itself? With time etc.

I'm getting paranoid as fcuk about it, and I'm only 26! But I allowed my bf to get up around 20-25% I think and gained the weight rather quickly (4 months). Now I'm getting much leaner <15% and seem to have some loose skin on my lower abdomen and back.

I've seen pics of Dave Gulledge when he had pretty high bodyfat, and then when he shredded right down doing psmf while injured. And he appeared to have zero loose skin.

Anyone have any concrete info or anecdotal experience regarding this?
Unread 06-10-2009, 09:34 AM

Anecdotal evidence would say that you didn't gain enough to really stretch out the skin too badly.

Do you have stretch marks in that area?

Look at how it works on pregnant women. Some of them gain upwards of 100lbs, and afterwards it may be loose for a while but it mostly goes away. They do keep the stretch marks typically though.

Honestly I think the stretching of skin is worse if you stayed at a high bodyfat for many years.

The only people I've known who have had to get the skin cut off by a surgeon were people who were obese and lost 75+ pounds.
Unread 06-10-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti View Post
Anecdotal evidence would say that you didn't gain enough to really stretch out the skin too badly.

Do you have stretch marks in that area?

Look at how it works on pregnant women. Some of them gain upwards of 100lbs, and afterwards it may be loose for a while but it mostly goes away. They do keep the stretch marks typically though.

Honestly I think the stretching of skin is worse if you stayed at a high bodyfat for many years.

The only people I've known who have had to get the skin cut off by a surgeon were people who were obese and lost 75+ pounds.
I concur 100%... being heavy @25% bf for a few months is nothing in terms of destroying your skin.

Take me for instance... heavy kid since 8 years old or so... max weight 294 lbs @ 5'11" with about 38% BF. @ 27 years old I decided to lose weight, by 28 I was 170 or so (way too thin in terms of bf vs lmm). I have problems with loose skin I think... don't know cause it's such a wreck down in my stomach area (aka the Pouch). It could be fat sitting in skin folds that could be reduced but again, I am not sure. No way to really know, upper abs are visible to a degree so I figure about 11-12% bf. All guesses...

I'd love to know Lyle's thoughts on loose skin for excessive weight loss and what not.
Unread 06-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Nothing I"ve ever looked into in detail but seems to be highly individual (e.g. who gets loose skin and who doesn't).