BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Guide to Flexible Dieting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-12-2016, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmcriminal View Post
I just wanted to reply to this comment. When I am in ketosis, I have eaten around 150g of carbs and still was in ketosis. I did not eat that many carbs every day but after I eat that many, I test for ketosis just to see and I am still in ketosis.

I use ketonix. It is a device that you breathe into and it measures the acetone concentration of your breath to determine if you're in ketosis or not.

I also get into ketosis when I am doing RFL. I no longer do a keto based diet.
I greatly appreciate the replies, it does help me figure this out. I do need to sit down and take the time to re-read the book and recalculate everything from scratch. It's odd that I stated in an earlier post that a grown man shouldn't be eating 1100 calories, implying that was far to little. Now I'm reading all the posts in the RFL forum. lol Fat loss is frustrating. I realize it's supposed to be a simple concept, and I'm sure if you take away my question oriented mind, it is, but it's not easy. I'll keep plugging away. Thanks to you and bigpecspeter for your assistance.
Unread 05-12-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykertest View Post
I greatly appreciate the replies, it does help me figure this out. I do need to sit down and take the time to re-read the book and recalculate everything from scratch. It's odd that I stated in an earlier post that a grown man shouldn't be eating 1100 calories, implying that was far to little. Now I'm reading all the posts in the RFL forum. lol Fat loss is frustrating. I realize it's supposed to be a simple concept, and I'm sure if you take away my question oriented mind, it is, but it's not easy. I'll keep plugging away. Thanks to you and bigpecspeter for your assistance.
A lot of people still have that mentality, but you should go with whatever works for your goals and that you can stick to. Yeah, eating 1100 kcal with no end in sight would suck and I'm not sure that would be a life well lived. But if that only takes a relatively short time, it's manageable. Don't think what you "should" do based on some preconceived notions of what is acceptable in the fitness community.

That being said, I wouldn't do RFL if I were you. I'd just up the low-to-mid intensity cardio and eat more. For example, I'm currently eating 1800 kcal (like your original plan), doing 2 hours of cardio a day, not lifting, and losing about 2 - 2.5 lbs per week. If I did RFL with no cardio, I'd be losing at about the same rate, but the 900-1000 kcal intake difference is huge at this point.
Unread 05-12-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Ryker has a good post, I ditto it.

I would also like to state that there is a difference of doing RFL short term(Very low calories) and a moderate deficit(reducing your calories a moderate amount). Low-calorie diets are for short term use only, they are not for long term use.

Is eating 1,100 calories wrong? Depends on context, how long are you doing it? That's what matters.

In regards to your 4-pound weight gain in 2 weeks. Theoretically, you have to burn 3,500 calories to lose 1lbs of fat. Thus to gain 1lbs of fat you would have to eat 3,500 calories above maintenance calories. Maintenance calories are the number of calories you need to support your current weight. I would roughly estimate your maintenance calories is around 2,500 calories per day.

4 pounds of fat would be 14,000 calories. You said you gained 4lbs in 2 weeks(14 days) this is 14,000calories/14days = 1000 calories per day.
TO gain 4lbs in 2 weeks you would have to eat your maintenance calories 2,500 plus the 1000 calories a day. This is a total of 3,500 calories you would have to eat a day.

Did you eat 3,500 calories a day for the last 14 days? More than likely not, thus you did not gain 4lbs of fat. There are many factors that contribute to weight gain. Just because you're gaining weight does not mean it is fat.

Also weight loss is simple, burn more calories than you consume, that is all. Do not make it more complicated than that.
Unread 05-13-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
A lot of people still have that mentality, but you should go with whatever works for your goals and that you can stick to. Yeah, eating 1100 kcal with no end in sight would suck and I'm not sure that would be a life well lived. But if that only takes a relatively short time, it's manageable. Don't think what you "should" do based on some preconceived notions of what is acceptable in the fitness community.

That being said, I wouldn't do RFL if I were you. I'd just up the low-to-mid intensity cardio and eat more. For example, I'm currently eating 1800 kcal (like your original plan), doing 2 hours of cardio a day, not lifting, and losing about 2 - 2.5 lbs per week. If I did RFL with no cardio, I'd be losing at about the same rate, but the 900-1000 kcal intake difference is huge at this point.
My schedule is quite full (75+ hours a week of work) so 2 hours a day of cardio is most likely not going to happen. I work out every third day at my job that has a gym but my diet is where I have the most freedom to work, and if I'm honest, where I need to focus my energies. I've never been a soda drinker or candy eater, breads and pasta own me. lol I notice my stomach feels better and I lose weight when I keep the carbs in check, but not so low that I'm doing Keto which messes me up digestively but thats for another thread.

The thing that concerns me about RFL is that both my jobs are physical in nature, sometimes, very physical. I don't see RFL being very kind to me when I'm trying to bust my butt. If I sat at a desk all day then maybe it would be a better fit, but I don't know what Lyle would suggest with regards to a physical job and RFL. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing.
Unread 05-17-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
My schedule is quite full (75+ hours a week of work) so 2 hours a day of cardio is most likely not going to happen. I work out every third day at my job that has a gym but my diet is where I have the most freedom to work, and if I'm honest, where I need to focus my energies. I've never been a soda drinker or candy eater, breads and pasta own me. lol I notice my stomach feels better and I lose weight when I keep the carbs in check, but not so low that I'm doing Keto which messes me up digestively but thats for another thread.

The thing that concerns me about RFL is that both my jobs are physical in nature, sometimes, very physical. I don't see RFL being very kind to me when I'm trying to bust my butt. If I sat at a desk all day then maybe it would be a better fit, but I don't know what Lyle would suggest with regards to a physical job and RFL. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing.
Since (surprisingly) no one seems to have said it I will.

Are you using a food scale to weigh your food?

Have to ask, because, per your post you have a lot more lean mass than I do, plus I'm older and female. I'm set at about 1400 for calories, 109 P, 45 F, and 140 C. Don't want to jinx myself here, but I've been losing weight. I do exercise, but I don't think I'm as active during the day as you seem to be.

I use a digital food scale.
Unread 05-18-2016, 06:54 PM

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I do have a digital scale. It is an Ozeri brand I purchased from walmart about 6 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly70 View Post
Since (surprisingly) no one seems to have said it I will.

Are you using a food scale to weigh your food?

Have to ask, because, per your post you have a lot more lean mass than I do, plus I'm older and female. I'm set at about 1400 for calories, 109 P, 45 F, and 140 C. Don't want to jinx myself here, but I've been losing weight. I do exercise, but I don't think I'm as active during the day as you seem to be.

I use a digital food scale.