BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-14-2016, 08:53 AM

Default Question about Protein Requirements, Carb etc.

Hello Lyle and members,

New to this forum so please spare me if i make mistakes in something. Been reading both Ketogenic Diet & RFL books that i borrowed from a friend of mine. Keeping it short i am jumping to my query over here.

So far from what i have understood, RFL is nothing else but a Ketogenic Diet without Dietary Fats to have a huge daily calorie deficit (just like Lyle said it in his Ketogenic Diet book that only point of adding fats is to not let our metabolism go slow by being in huge deficit).
In Ketogenic Diet we will be fat adapted (fat coming from both Diet as well as Body fat) by eliminating/restricting carbs & staying in Ketosis.
Same will happen in RFL where we are fat adapted (coming from body stores) & staying in Ketosis.
Brain will be getting it's fuel from both KETONES & Glucose made by GNG (from Dietary Protein ingested & TG breakdown giving 10% glycerol)

SO BOTH DIETS ARE SIMILAR EXCEPT THE INGESTION OF DIETARY FATS IN KETOGENIC DIET TO KEEP DEFICIT SMALLER TO AVOID OTHER METABOLISM RELATED PROBLEMS.

Now what i want to know is that why there are different Protein requirements in both diets to maintain our LBM?
Ketogenic Diet says that me being a 250lb, 35% Bf guy have to consume 250*0.9= 225gm of Protein to keep my LBM.
While RFL says that being in Cat 3 i have to eat 1gm/lb of LBM which is around 163gm to spare LBM loss.

I mean i have only one body & LBM is of course same for both cases so why do we have different Protein requirements considering methodology of both diets is same i.e. Fat Adaptation & Carbs Elimination/Restriction.

Are we going to save more muscle mass in Keto with that extra protein?
IF NOT and if 163gm is sufficient (which RFL recommends) then won't that extra 62gm Protein will produce (62*.58) 36gm of Glucose which can throw me out of Ketosis or decrease the degree of FAT ADAPTATION in Ketogenic Diet?

Also Lyle says that Ketosis doesn't matter but isn't Ketosis an indicator of the fact that we are burning fat for fuel i.e. Fat Adapted?