BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-20-2009, 09:13 AM

Great article,

My "upper body" workouts are really long if I try to do some isolation stuff: "arms".

Doggcrapp training, for example, uses a split of chest/shoulders/triceps/back for one workout and legs/arms for the other.

This seems like a good option for me since I don't care about legs enough to dedicate an entire workout to em', so arms fit in nicely. However, since any type of chest exercice uses triceps and back exercices use biceps - arms are already getting worked indirectly. It would seem that if you perform an isolation type of arm work on another day it would cut into recovery. Is this something I should care about? Or is the indirect arm work on one day + an 'arm' day just fine and doesn't affect recovery?
Unread 05-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Administrator

It's usually argued that arms recover faster as a function of being smaller and a lot of people have worked them on an additional day (after 'indirect work' from compound stuff) and done fine. I've even seen splits where they are worked the day after being hit with heavy compound stuff and it seems to work just fine. The DC guys, so far as I can tell, certainly have no issues with it.
Unread 05-20-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
It's usually argued that arms recover faster as a function of being smaller and a lot of people have worked them on an additional day (after 'indirect work' from compound stuff) and done fine. I've even seen splits where they are worked the day after being hit with heavy compound stuff and it seems to work just fine. The DC guys, so far as I can tell, certainly have no issues with it.
Plus there's still off days between every workout. It's not like some guys I see at the gym who do chest/arms/chest/arms/chest
Unread 05-20-2009, 11:05 AM

unless you went ballistic this would require going to the gym twice a week for what, 4 sets of arm work?

hell no lol

I'd rather lift donuts to my mouth to work my arms

unless you pair it with shoulders or legs, than we're in another column...
Unread 05-20-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeyZS View Post
unless you went ballistic this would require going to the gym twice a week for what, 4 sets of arm work?
Wut?
Unread 05-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Ignore me buddy, I'm spinning with anxiety. MCAT on friday morning!

unless you have questions on kinetics and thermodynamics, I'm useless right now. lol
Unread 05-20-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeyZS View Post
Ignore me buddy, I'm spinning with anxiety. MCAT on friday morning!
Good luck on the test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTrainer View Post
I would say you could even make a progression.
Do the 4x/week upper/lower at the low volume end, and gradually add extra sets and/or reps over time.
I've been toying with the idea of using Lyle' bulk but beginning with the very low end of volume and then adding as needed (maybe a set or two for each bodypart each 6 week cycle).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth83 View Post
Westside For Skinny Bastards is a good routine that follows these basic principles:
http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part1.html Gives you a lot of variety also
Would my bulk be better served using a low-volume 4 day per week split or Westside for skinny bastards?
Unread 05-21-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
Would my bulk be better served using a low-volume 4 day per week split or Westside for skinny bastards?
And do you guys recommend do rotator cuff/shoulder work every day, workout, or only each upper workout?
Unread 05-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
And do you guys recommend do rotator cuff/shoulder work every day, workout, or only each upper workout?
I usually program it on upper body days at the end. Every day would be overkill in my mind.
Unread 05-21-2009, 10:19 AM

Lyle - I am new to the site and really appreciate you putting up all the content you do.

My question is this: what do you think about Waterbury's High Frequency Training protocols? I have tried them for short periods but it seems they really need to be paired with adequate carb intakes for proper bulking as well as the fact that even though he claims that your body adapts to quicker recovery, that is not ideal for mass gaining. Then I think he also screws it up when he mixed in a bunch of high rep work as well.

Thanks!