BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-03-2009, 11:24 AM

How much more calories does depletion workout burn anyway? I'm thinking its somewhere around ~100-200 calories.
Unread 06-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenrko420 View Post
How much more calories does depletion workout burn anyway? I'm thinking its somewhere around ~100-200 calories.
More than what? Also it depends on how much LBM you have. Additionally, the point of the depletion workout isn't calorie burning or EPOC so it's sort of irrelevant.
Unread 06-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Administrator

As I sort of glossed ove a bit in the article (it's hidden in a parenthesis), wight training of any sort, metabolic or not doesn't burn a ton of calories no matter how you cut it. You will generally burn more with even moderate intensity cardio.
Unread 06-03-2009, 01:19 PM

Reminds me of something you've said before (probably a ton of times)...the people capable of burning several hundred calories with lifting are the people who don't need to diet anyway.
Unread 06-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Administrator

It was more of a generlaization: usually folks who are well trained enough to burn a ton of calories with activity don't have a huge need to lose fat. An example would be highly trained Olympic lifters, those guys have to eat thousands of calories to keep weight up. And when you can do 5 hours/day of high intensity Olympic lifting, so can you.

until that point if you get 300-400 cal/hour weight training, you're doing well.
Unread 06-03-2009, 03:42 PM

Question about calories burned during weightlifting. IF one uses a heart rate monitor (wrist watch) and checks heart rate after each set and say again mid-way during their rest period, why are the calories burnt not accurate in the case of weight lifting, versus say something like cycling. I understanding that most monitors are only approximations, but is there fundamentally (physiologically) happening that makes these approximations inaccurate when lifting weight vs other intense activities?
Unread 06-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Administrator

HR estimations tend not to be partictularly good for non-steady state kinds of activities. That said, some of the estimates that we got for weight workouts using the Polar HRM seemed reasonably accurate (again, an average was maybe 300-400 calories per hour with higher burns for the Olympic lifts and/or higher reps and lower for smaller muscle groups and lower reps).

This is also consistent with various values that have beenmeasured. Typically you see ranges of 7-9 cal/minute for the lifting part of training. So if you figure you're lifting for maybe half of the total time you're in the weight room, you end up with maybe 30 minutes total work time * 7-9 cal/min is about 200-300 calories per hour.
Unread 06-03-2009, 06:39 PM

Thanks.

I knew those 700-800 cal readings for an hour and 15 mins were just too good to be true.
But the 200-300 cal are well below by worst case expectations. But that's the reality of it.
Unread 06-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Part 2
Unread 06-05-2009, 12:15 PM

Default Working submaximally when dieting

Hi!

I'm currently using Wendlers 5/3/1 program with great success, and as some of you might know the program uses submaximal weights. Worksets are at times as low as 75% of your true 1RM, but since there is no prescribed rep range the last set is taken just a rep short of failure.

So, my question is regarding intensity. If I choose to go on a RFL diet, can I still continue using the 5/3/1 program (with reduced volume and frequency of course), or will the submaximal weights cause me to lose my hard earned LBM?