BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Default Impact of the Menstrual Cycle on Determinants of Energy Intake

Research review on the main site
Unread 06-16-2009, 02:07 PM

This article is awesome! Thanks for doing it, finally there is some truth and data to my mania!
Unread 06-17-2009, 12:16 AM

Gold! Thanks Lyle.

Just curious about this statement: "...falling estrogen certainly doesn’t seem to make lower body fat mobilization any easier for female dieters which I think throws a major wrench in the idea that estrogen is responsible for women’s hip/thigh fat."
Do you conclude this from research you read, or from your own experience with female clients? I always had the typical female bodyfat distribution, then I lost my period for about 6 months, probably due to low energy intake and excessive exercising. Bodyfat was not extremely low (probably went from 16 to 13% or thereabouts) but lower body fat loss seemed to accelerate. I always assumed this was due to falling estrogen, but could be a host of other factors.
Unread 06-17-2009, 01:33 AM

Thanks, confirms a lot of what I already knew & am doing (eating 8g of dark chocolate & 2 tsp of cocoa powder/day).. have just started supplementing with more magnesium the other day.

Plus of course.. varying calorie intake over the course of a cycle with it being lowest after 7-10 days & highest when progesterone peaks (5 days pre-TOM).

As an addendum, for most women, luteal phase has a fixed length which generally is approx. 14 days (mine is way shorter @ just 9-11days), while the follicular phase can be shorter or longer depending on diet & stress..
Eating less and/or being stressed tends to prolong the follicular phase and eating more has the reverse effect.
Unread 06-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittitsz View Post
Gold! Thanks Lyle.

Just curious about this statement: "...falling estrogen certainly doesn’t seem to make lower body fat mobilization any easier for female dieters which I think throws a major wrench in the idea that estrogen is responsible for women’s hip/thigh fat."
Do you conclude this from research you read, or from your own experience with female clients? I always had the typical female bodyfat distribution, then I lost my period for about 6 months, probably due to low energy intake and excessive exercising. Bodyfat was not extremely low (probably went from 16 to 13% or thereabouts) but lower body fat loss seemed to accelerate. I always assumed this was due to falling estrogen, but could be a host of other factors.
Look at the majority of female bodybuilders who get lean, despite estrogen falling, they still have the same problems with lower body fat as anyone else. People have also tried anti-estrogens with little major effect.
Unread 06-17-2009, 12:23 PM

I just came here to say that since I started supplementing magnesium, I never want to eat chocolate.

I never understood why I used to get mad cravings for it from time to time, since I didn't never liked it that much.