BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTrainer View Post
Glucose should be preferred over tons of fructose and sucrose, but as to low vs. high GI, simple vs. complex, or whatever you want to call it, no.

Depending on how many cals you need to eat total, it may be easier to eat faster digesting carbs and relatively less fiber (think white bread instead of whole grain) simply because that may make it easier to eat more.

Like Lyle wrote in the article though, health should also be a concern, and there a lot of studies showing whole grains and whatnot are good for us.
I'd only note in this regards (where is Gareth when you need him) that it's utterly silly to turn this into a comparison of:

living on glucose
nothing but the wholest of whole grains or whatever extremist stance someone (this isn't aimed at you BWtrainer) wants to take.

Cover your nutrient requirements, fruits, vegetables, grains. Just realize that OMG if you want to throw in a bit of junky stuff, you're fine and that the whole psycho obsession over GI is just as silly as most of them.

But ONLY if you have the other stuff covered first.
Unread 07-04-2009, 12:55 PM

This reminds me of an email forwarded to me called the good doctor's Q&A:

"Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn.
And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient
mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken.
Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable).
And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine,
that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more
of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!! ..... Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy? HELLO Cocoa beans ! Another vegetable!!! It's the best feel-good food around!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets. " Happy 4th!
Unread 07-04-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
This is also why, as I told a friend yesterday, cows are technically vegetables. Since that's what they eat, it's a little known fact that they simply concentrate all of the vegetable matter into their delicious cow flesh. so when you eat a burger, it covers meat and vegetable intakes.
Should I be concerned about the amount of carbohydrate in meat, depending on how glycogen-depleted the cow was at the time of her death?
Unread 07-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Administrator

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.
Unread 07-04-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielle View Post
Should I be concerned about the amount of carbohydrate in meat, depending on how glycogen-depleted the cow was at the time of her death?
That's a weird question.
Unread 07-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Not really (it's not the first time I've seen it in any case) but, assuming she's being serious here's the answer: no. Which, if you look at nutrient charts on pure meat is pretty clear; carb content of meat is near zero grams for any serving size.

Unless you eat the animal fresh off the kill (and I don't even know if cows store glycogen, many animals do not; for example, rats, mice and hamsters don't store muscle glycogen adn rely on blood borne fuel which is why all the lovely keto-diet research on them doesn't apply to humans), there won' be any glycogen. Even humans.

When a critter dies, the cells can no longer produce ATP aerobically. When ATP drops, this activates the enzyme that breaks down glycogen. Rigor mortis sets in when finally, the glycogen is gone and the cell runs out of ATP completely, the muscles simply lock up and that's it.

But the glycogen depletes shortly after death.
Unread 07-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielle View Post
Humane slaughter regulations in most First World nations ensures that cows, in general, die happy. So, except for PSMF dieting cows, there should be no glycogen depletion.

And yet, there is zero carbohydrate in beef.

Where does it go?

Lyle, where does it go?

edit: oh, I see you answered that above. I was worried. Magically disappearing carbohydrate would be disturbing.
Unread 07-04-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Not really (it's not the first time I've seen it in any case) but, assuming she's being serious here's the answer: no. Which, if you look at nutrient charts on pure meat is pretty clear; carb content of meat is near zero grams for any serving size.

Unless you eat the animal fresh off the kill (and I don't even know if cows store glycogen, many animals do not; for example, rats, mice and hamsters don't store muscle glycogen adn rely on blood borne fuel which is why all the lovely keto-diet research on them doesn't apply to humans), there won' be any glycogen. Even humans.

When a critter dies, the cells can no longer produce ATP aerobically. When ATP drops, this activates the enzyme that breaks down glycogen. Rigor mortis sets in when finally, the glycogen is gone and the cell runs out of ATP completely, the muscles simply lock up and that's it.

But the glycogen depletes shortly after death.
Ah thanks. And no, I wasn't seriously worried. Just curious

Last edited by Gabrielle : 07-04-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Unread 07-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_A View Post
here's a few:

1) how about all of you shut up and think before you speak so I don't have to wade through so much bullI need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. to get some info here?

2) how about you tell me all you know about this phenomenon, rather than do what so many of you weak I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.s do on these forums, and follow the leader with some waste of space remark?

3) how about you think about all of the reasons I might have asked a question like this, and compare it to the things you yourself ask and discuss on this forum?

4) I briefly experimented with an altered schedule. My question wasn't "is this a great idea", but "how bad do you think this is?". You don't know my situation, you don't know how i did it, and you apparently didn't care to take a cursory glance at the world around you before deciding that this was a particularly noteworthy form of dangerous behavior.

...I think this was you:
"Oh, don't get me wrong. I screwed around with Lyle's RFL diet mercilessly. Experimenting is fun. Just don't blame him if it fails."

I can forgive some I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. from Lyle, who has worked hard for years, and has to deal with I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.ers like you all day ('admin', I know, but it doesn't change much). But it's barely tolerable when the rest of you start picking up his mannerisms, and worse still, pretending you've done any honest intellectual labor in your life.
Apparently, you have a 5th idea as well: try to annoy one of the people who can delete you and your posts. It's as good an idea as your other ones.
Unread 07-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Edit: since someone will invariably ask: if you're wondering why animals don't deplete the fat stores in their muscle it's because there's no aerobic metabolism going on after death (no blood pumping = no oxygen to support aerobic pathways). Only the anaerobic processes within the muscle can still function so only ATP/CP and glycogen get dpleted.