BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Lock your knees. Unless you're hypermobile, there is no real risk.
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Lock your knees. Unless you're hypermobile, there is no real risk.
OK

Also do you have any ideas for better muscle mind connection?

I have the Strength Training Anatomy book and the Author talks about physically touching the muscle while your doing the excessive. I also saw Kai Greene doing that in many of his videos when training people. Granted I also saw him reading the same book. Obviously this is hard to do by yourself on many excercises but Kai would do it before the set. Is there any truth to this?

Or any other ways you know of?

Thanks
Unread 12-26-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2train13 View Post
See I usually only go stiff to the point of keeping my hands over my knees from bending. Only recently have I heard I risked injury being so stiff.

I just have a really tough time consistently feeling the contraction in the muscle belly. Its more I feel like I'm going through the motions and since I can't feel it in my calves I guess I start to notice other parts.

If i do burnouts with low reps I can get the burning feeling but doing regular sets I feel like I have to constantly readjust my feet to try and "find" where I can get the contraction.
Were it not for it being the Christmas period, I'd probably be inclined to rant and rage against the light from all this talk of "feel".

Don't go too light, keep your form tight, pause at the bottom of the movement (ie come to a dead stop, and don't use your ankle to bounce or simply return the movement). Do the reps deliberately, with a slight pause at the top, but dead stop at the bottom of the movement. Rinse. Repeat.

Don't go too light, don't go too heavy.

And stop obsessing about how they "feel".
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Hall View Post
Were it not for it being the Christmas period, I'd probably be inclined to rant and rage against the light from all this talk of "feel".

Don't go too light, keep your form tight, pause at the bottom of the movement (ie come to a dead stop, and don't use your ankle to bounce or simply return the movement). Do the reps deliberately, with a slight pause at the top, but dead stop at the bottom of the movement. Rinse. Repeat.

Don't go too light, don't go too heavy.

And stop obsessing about how they "feel".
Well Douglas, I appreciate your Christmas spirit and saving me from the wrath of your rant. But in all seriousness I do appreciate the comments and replys. Its really a challenge for me to grow my calves to I want to make sure I have all my "I's" dotted and "T's" crossed.
Unread 12-31-2013, 09:03 AM

Since this thread has been necro'd I have a quick question on ROM:

I do standing calves on a smith machine but with the weights I'm using I prefer to just keep my feet on the floor rather than get on a block and risk over-stretching (left foot's prone to this).

But all things being equal, if you had to pick one option would it be more productive for growth to get the full ROM with lighter weights (which turns the "rest" at the bottom into an isometric contraction), or just go as heavy as possible for the 5x5 with your feet flat on the floor in between reps?

RFL Round 2 Log (ended 10/25/2013)

UD2.0 Log (started 12/29/13)
Unread 12-31-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAMattD View Post
But all things being equal, if you had to pick one option would it be more productive for growth to get the full ROM with lighter weights (which turns the "rest" at the bottom into an isometric contraction), or just go as heavy as possible for the 5x5 with your feet flat on the floor in between reps?
First, the "rest" at the bottom is not exactly an isometric contraction so much as it's a loaded stretch which happens to be good for stimulating a hypertrophic response.

As to the question: the longer ROM should be preferred in general because it works the calf in a way it is not typically subjected to work, with emphasis on loading the stretch position.

On the other hand, a shorter ROM albeit with heavier loads can indeed work; the downsides are that the heavier loads can be hard on the feet, and the top end of the movement tends to emphasize more peak contraction than stretch induced strain. However, I've seen that approach work well for those with already good calf genetics or development.

In your case, it's more a question of what your goals are:

Just get in some decent calf work?

If so, just do what you're doing with the shorter ROM.

Want to really try to maximize development?

Opt for the longer ROM with the emphasis on the stretch position.
Unread 12-31-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAMattD View Post
Since this thread has been necro'd I have a quick question on ROM:

I do standing calves on a smith machine but with the weights I'm using I prefer to just keep my feet on the floor rather than get on a block and risk over-stretching (left foot's prone to this).

My personal take - with absolutely no science or study behind it - would be if you struggle with calf development, then go for full ROM.

If overstretching is a possibility, then moderate your weight used and concentrate on form, and doing the reps deliberately - my personal epiphany with calf raises - and credit where credit is due - was down to reading one of Lyle's articles on it - pause at the bottom, ensuring firstly it's controlled, and secondly that it's not exploiting momentum or bounce to start the movement.

As to abbrievating the range of movement, with feet flat on the floor - presumably that would also involve greater weight - my experience is as the other reply - doing the exercise with corners cut in order to increase the weight used, has only resulted in foot pain and minor injury for me.

I don't buy into this whole take loads of weight off, and concentrate on feel - but I do believe the notion of concentrating on form, doing the reps deliberately (but none of that super slow bobbins), pausing at the bottom of the movement, and slight pause at the top. With as much weight as can be handled whilst being able to perform the reps like that, and with a concerted effort to gradually increase the weight being used, but not in such manner as it means compromising on the aspects that are avoiding the design of the ankle joint to be able to make the movement easier.
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Bollocks View Post
In your case, it's more a question of what your goals are:

Just get in some decent calf work?

If so, just do what you're doing with the shorter ROM.

Want to really try to maximize development?

Opt for the longer ROM with the emphasis on the stretch position.
Good response, thanks. At the moment it's actually both since I'm doing UD2.0 so I'll opt for the former during depletion and the latter during tension and power training (and when I'm done and transition to a bulk). Maybe I'll start with plates instead of an aerobic step to start.

RFL Round 2 Log (ended 10/25/2013)

UD2.0 Log (started 12/29/13)
Unread 01-13-2014, 01:46 PM

I have another question that I wondered for a while and recently considering again.

Can being bow legged affect calf growth?

I continually try look for ways to improve my calves, so I just randomly searched this on Google and found a few people with same question.

I also searched bow legged and found many had weak calf development. Now I understand most people don't lift but I have found in day to day that decent to good calf development doesn't necessarily need to be trained.

I wonder if being bow legged could affect the calf growth somehow because of weight not being evenly distributed.

Any thoughts.
Unread 01-13-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2train13 View Post
I have another question that I wondered for a while and recently considering again.

Can being bow legged affect calf growth?

I continually try look for ways to improve my calves, so I just randomly searched this on Google and found a few people with same question.

I also searched bow legged and found many had weak calf development. Now I understand most people don't lift but I have found in day to day that decent to good calf development doesn't necessarily need to be trained.

I wonder if being bow legged could affect the calf growth somehow because of weight not being evenly distributed.

Any thoughts.
Doesn't seem like the answer. You see many women walking bow legged, for example among native Japanese, and they often have very good calf development.

A lot of people report success in "overcoming" the stubborn calves problem by using massive amounts of volume.