BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Default A Quick Look at Food Allergies and Intolerances

Article on the main site
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:27 AM

Good article

Second paragraph:

"What seems to have happened is that one person stated that this was true and a bunch of people who didnít know any better simply started repeating it until it became an accepted Ďtruthí. "

What do "this" and "it" refer to?

Sixth paragraph"

"For anybody whoís interested, Iíve included the referenced cited in this section at the end of the article."

Should be references

Seventh paragraph of the conclusion:

"However, as I noted above, if you eat something and nearly die, you know all you need to know anyhow. At least in the case of extreme food allergies."

That second sentence has no verb.

thanks
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Thanks, here's the fixed second para

What seems to have happened is that one person stated that certain ideas were true and a bunch of people who didn't know any better simply started repeating those ideas until they became an accepted 'truth'. Unfortunately, science says different and that's what I'm going to look at.
Unread 08-07-2009, 10:12 AM

Hogwash. If you have a milk allergy, you can drink lactaid.
Unread 08-07-2009, 11:18 AM

But I just KNOW I'm allergic to gluten and lactose. They're in teh carbz and they're bad for me. They make me fat. The Interwebz told me so.
Unread 08-07-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Actually lyle, you are wronmg. Christian T. says ifz you eat eggs too often this cans contribute to leaky gut and you wont absorb the protein and there go the muscle gains and next thing you know you're living under a newark underpass selling flowers!!!1
Unread 08-07-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
"Actually, thatís not entirely true, one weird study showed that children with peanut allergies could eventually get to where they could eat half a peanut but it took months and months of feeding them like 1/4 peanut to get them to that level. Hooray. For all practical purposes, a true food allergy never goes away and the idea that abstaining from that food will make it go away is simply absurd."

This actually made me laugh out loud. Fantastic article as always. Always look forward to my Tues/Friday lunch break coming out of lab.
Unread 08-07-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lombardis25 View Post
Hogwash. If you have a milk allergy, you can drink lactaid.
Lactaid does not alter milk allergy, it helps digest lactose which is a sugar.

If lactose is not properly digested (because your intestines lack the appropriate enzyme lactase) it causes bloating, gas and possibly diarrhea. Lactaid contains the enzyme lactase and helps digest lactose.

True milk allergy (allergy to milk protein) is not frequently seen but if an individual is allergic to milk protein Lactaid is useless.

As Lyle clearly stated in his article many individuals confuse intolerance (lactose intolerance) with allergy. You apparently are one of those individuals, unless of course you simply trying to be facetious.
Unread 08-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Administrator

That's probably why he used the smiley.
Unread 08-07-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragiarn View Post
Lactaid does not alter milk allergy, it helps digest lactose which is a sugar.

If lactose is not properly digested (because your intestines lack the appropriate enzyme lactase) it causes bloating, gas and possibly diarrhea. Lactaid contains the enzyme lactase and helps digest lactose.

True milk allergy (allergy to milk protein) is not frequently seen but if an individual is allergic to milk protein Lactaid is useless.

As Lyle clearly stated in his article many individuals confuse intolerance (lactose intolerance) with allergy. You apparently are one of those individuals, unless of course you simply trying to be facetious.

Yes, I was being facetious. Lyle had to set someone straight on an 'intolerance' thread earlier this week about lactaid. I'm just trying to remind Lyle he's surrounded by crazy people. Me included.

On a side note.** The comment about the peanuts in the article made me laugh too.