BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Administrator

That's a different article although I'm fairly sure it's been discussed here.
Unread 12-30-2010, 05:17 PM

"Let me note ahead of time that training with this high frequency can cause problems and there are a number of pitfalls that need to be avoided. Of course general overtraining is one of them but..."

Lyle, why overtraining tends to be a problem when training 5x/6x a week if the people are keeping the training volume and (muscle hit) frequency at the same as the 3x/4x per week?

is there any hormonal advantage by training all in less days?
Unread 12-30-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenca333 View Post
Lyle, why overtraining tends to be a problem when training 5x/6x a week if the people are keeping the training volume and (muscle hit) frequency at the same as the 3x/4x per week?

I think Lyle has mentioned systemic recovery. This is one of those issues that doesn't fit into a lot of "models" of how recovery works.

For instance, someone on these forums asked once:

"I'm training 6 days per week. Why can't I just distribute that training load over 7 days per week? Shouldn't it make it better for recovery because I've distributed the stress over more days?"

But coaches have noticed that you need that one day off. Even endurance athletes training 30+ hours per week take a day off. Maybe Lyle knows about the physiology behind it, but people have just noticed that athletes need rest days.

Which is why it's naive to say 3 two-hour workouts is harder than 6 one-hour workouts. They're different stresses.
Unread 12-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Administrator

The physiology is not relevant; the practical implications are.
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
"Let me note ahead of time that training with this high frequency can cause problems and there are a number of pitfalls that need to be avoided. Of course general overtraining is one of them but..."

3-4 days per week (heavy lifting) is best for most people, some can do more, but most can't and shouldn't.

Last edited by mrlakramondas : 01-01-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Unread 01-01-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Maybe there is a hormonal advantage if the Bulgarians/Leo Costa is correct and shorter, more frequent training sessions causes an increase in testosterone.

Overtraining would be more of a concern because training 6 times per week means six days in a row of training. If you're worn out by the end of the week, a couple of half-hearted workouts toward the end of the week is probably more of a negative. Four good workouts per week has to be better than a week of four good ones and two crappy ones.

There's also the issue with joints as mentioned in the article.

And there's that pesky thing called life. A six-day-per-week schedule means your butt is in the gym no matter what your out-of-the-gym stresses are, unless you can schedule your two-year-old's fever for the nite before your one off day.

So, If your out-of-gym stresses are consistently manageable, and if you have robust, healthy joints, and if you are mindful of your exercise selection, and if you can put forth the mental effort six days in a row, and if you can resist the temptation to allow per-workout volume to increase, then six days of training per week works great.
Unread 12-04-2013, 01:10 PM

Using the Medium/Light/Heavy scheme for Upper/Lower, changing MMLLHHX (as mentioned in the article) for HMLLMHX (alternating intesity to prevent H-upper affecting H-lower or vice-versa) would work as well?
Unread 11-23-2016, 08:45 AM

So after reading this QA article this is the plan I have put together which is a variation of Split 1. I've come up with this setup because I want to do some oblique and lower back work and I can't cram all this into a single day with legs.

I considered the upper/lower alternating routine where do you only 1 or 2 sets each day, but I worry that switching between all those exercises will take up a lot of time especially if the gym gets busy and I have to wait for someone.

So with all that in mind my plan is to go to the gym every day and cycle through day 1 though 4 below. Due to a variable work schedule and life I'll skip a day or two here or there which will give my shoulders a break and occasional extra rest for recovery and joint paint.

1 Chest/Back Day: Superset Flat Bench and Row; Superset Incline Bench and Cable Pulldown

2 Abs/Lower Back Day: Superset Weighted Situps and Lower Back; Superset Cable rotations for obleaks and leg raises

3 Shoulder/Arm Day: Superset Rear Delt Raise and Lateral Raise; Superset Bicep curl and tricep cable pushdown

4 Leg Day: Superset Leg Press and Calf Raise; RDL; Split Squat

Does this seem like a decent plan?

Last edited by kennysabarese : 11-23-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Unread 11-24-2016, 01:29 AM

What volume and intensity are you using?
Unread 11-25-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
What volume and intensity are you using?
Volumes from the first chart in http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...g-part-1.html/

Intensity is enough that the last rep of the last set of each exercise is tough to complete but I don't usually fail.

This is the same volume and intensity I was doing when I was doing the upper day, rest day, lower day, rest day routine.

Last edited by kennysabarese : 11-25-2016 at 04:30 PM.