BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-31-2009, 07:06 AM
Administrator

No, I had misspelled 'diphospate'
Unread 10-31-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Itís worth mentioning that AMPk activation also inhibits protein synthesis by inhibiting another molecular sensor called mTOR.
Would this bit be localized? In other words, would it be wrong of me to assume that doing resistance training for upper body and then doing cardio on a bike afterwards wouldn't dampen PS in the upper body?
Unread 10-31-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
No, I had misspelled 'diphospate'
OK, but AMPk responds to the relative proportions of ATP and AMP, not ADP and ATP as stated in the article.
Unread 10-31-2009, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
Would this bit be localized? In other words, would it be wrong of me to assume that doing resistance training for upper body and then doing cardio on a bike afterwards wouldn't dampen PS in the upper body?
Everything I've seen suggests that it's local only
Unread 10-31-2009, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Lifter85 View Post
OK, but AMPk responds to the relative proportions of ATP and AMP, not ADP and ATP as stated in the article.
I had to go back and look, would have sworn it was ATP/ADP. But you're right.

thanks
Unread 10-31-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Everything I've seen suggests that it's local only
So if I like to do some cardio after weight training, is it correct to say it's fine if done on upper body days? I will then not hamper protein synthesis in the legs if done on separate day from leg weight training?

What if it's only moderate intensity cardio at 70% max?
Unread 10-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica View Post
So if I like to do some cardio after weight training, is it correct to say it's fine if done on upper body days? I will then not hamper protein synthesis in the legs if done on separate day from leg weight training?

What if it's only moderate intensity cardio at 70% max?
Was my response to the identical question insufficient somehow?
Unread 10-31-2009, 08:39 PM

Thanks Lyle, I got it now
Unread 11-02-2009, 02:09 PM

This may be somewhat of an ignorant question but here goes...

I read through the "AMPK: Master Metabolic Regulator" article earlier and it mentions that low glycogen levels among other things may activate AMPk. That, along with the energy disruption stuff discussed within the new article made me wonders about before/during WO nutrition.

If specifically activating AMPk for mitochondria biogenesis was the goal of the workout, does it even make sense to consume carbs and stuff that would in theory delay the energy disruption? There's probably a bigger con here that I'm overlooking.
Unread 11-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Administrator

That idea is currently being thrown around with some evidence indicating that training under glycogen depleted conditions *might* push adaptations more effectively (the paper below was one of the early studies on the topic).

The idea of 'Train low/compete high' in terms of glycogen is sort the buzzphrase being used but it's all rather prelminary. It also has to be weighed against things such as decreasin ability to train intensely and/or voluminously along with things like immune system dysfunction.

That said, if chronic high carb diets are 'hurting' enduros in any way, it certainly doesn't seem to be showing up

J Appl Physiol. 2005 Jan;98(1):93-9. Epub 2004 Sep 10.
Skeletal muscle adaptation: training twice every second day vs. training once daily.

Hansen AK, Fischer CP, Plomgaard P, Andersen JL, Saltin B, Pedersen BK.
Dept. of Infectious Diseases M7641, and The Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Rigshospitalet, Blegdamsvej 9, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark.
Low muscle glycogen content has been demonstrated to enhance transcription of a number of genes involved in training adaptation. These results made us speculate that training at a low muscle glycogen content would enhance training adaptation. We therefore performed a study in which seven healthy untrained men performed knee extensor exercise with one leg trained in a low-glycogen (Low) protocol and the other leg trained at a high-glycogen (High) protocol. Both legs were trained equally regarding workload and training amount. On day 1, both legs (Low and High) were trained for 1 h followed by 2 h of rest at a fasting state, after which one leg (Low) was trained for an additional 1 h. On day 2, only one leg (High) trained for 1 h. Days 1 and 2 were repeated for 10 wk. As an effect of training, the increase in maximal workload was identical for the two legs. However, time until exhaustion at 90% was markedly more increased in the Low leg compared with the High leg. Resting muscle glycogen and the activity of the mitochondrial enzyme 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase increased with training, but only significantly so in Low, whereas citrate synthase activity increased in both Low and High. There was a more pronounced increase in citrate synthase activity when Low was compared with High. In conclusion, the present study suggests that training twice every second day may be superior to daily training.