BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Humans basically suck at all things except one: being very very smart.
Despite daily news headlines offering evidence that that one thing is disappearing from the species at an alarming rate.
Unread 12-22-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
Despite daily news headlines offering evidence that that one thing is disappearing from the species at an alarming rate.
Flynn effect
Wikipedia it if's news to you.
Unread 12-22-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Humans basically suck at all things except one: being very very smart.
The other things humans don't suck at is eating almost anything they can get their hands on, unlike many other species that have limited diets and thus are more vulnerable to changes in their environment. This of course is something we have in common with rats and seagulls. Just another irony of the paleo mindset.
Unread 12-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Yes, a point I sort of mentioned in today's piece: humans can adapt to just about any diet and if there is a problem with the modern diet it's probably more of quantity (too damn much) than quality per se.
Unread 12-23-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
But most of the paleo goons seem to confuse what neandertal man (big, musclely, stupid) might have been with what humans evolved from (small, physically pretty poor but big brains).
According to what I've read homo neanderthalensis was not stupid. They were about as smart as our ancestors at that time. (And they had other advantages like being better adapted to the cold climate they lived in, ... .)

The problem was that they weren't as social as our ancestors were. Different groups didn't help each other which was a big disadvantage and finally led to our dominance and their extinction. At least as far as I know that is the current assumption.
Unread 12-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Administrator

yeah, you're picking nits. They were more physically dominant and homo sapiens, from whom we actually evolved was not. But the paleo guys want to thiink that our ancestors were like tarzan, swinging through the trees and wrestling bears to death. And they were not.
Unread 12-24-2009, 01:29 PM

The idea that the neanderthal was as smart as we are, but less "social" makes no sense if you know a bit about cognition, and especial comparative cognitive science (is that even a discipline? I don't know). I know of at least one study where the authors (in their opinion - and I disagree - succesfully) tested their hypothesis that both chimps and orang utan juveniles are just as smart as human ones are when it comes to non-social cognition, and that the main difference IS social cognition. The part of our brains that grew the most in our evolutionary history is the one that deals with, well, other brains.
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Banned

There are already people from paleo sites slamming this article and claiming lyle acts like a know it all that thinks every one that diesagrees with him is stupid.
Unread 12-26-2009, 10:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to Nigeepoo

A sh!tstorm has definitely started.
Loren Cordain's Responds To Mercader Paper on Grains in Stone Age Diets.
Response to Lyle McDonald’s comments on grain consumption 100,000 years ago.
Would Including Grains Make You “Better Fed?

Blog
Unread 12-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Administrator

when Paleo cultists attack!

Cuz remember, science is only valid when it supports your preconceived beliefs. Like the paleo guys who like one of the researchers but not the other, becaue the one is anti-saturated fat. Which the cultists know is good in absolute terms. Because a dentist 50 years ago said so.

such goofs.