BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Administrator

I'll just wait for the rest to say thanks
Unread 01-13-2010, 12:41 PM

This series has been solid gold and I will share it with a lot of friends. I've told people a lot of stuff from the site, but this'll be a hit.

Like Harper I've been doing an interminable preliminary diet-down that's finally nearing the end. (Actually I've switched to maintenance and if I stabilize 10 pounds shy of my tightest skinny-jeans, I'm gonna bulk.)

But ever since I adopted a sane weight routine, I always aimed for the standard 80% of 1RM. Or, since it's how I actually gauged it, I tried to do whatever 2x8 that was so hard I had to fight to avoid losing the last reps.

I doubt - given my laughable LBM of 110-125lbs or so at 5'7- that I've made any serious dent in my "newbie potential," but I have been doing that level of intensity the whole diet-down. Even when I was on a hare-brained 6 day 3x8 routine I was still doing a badly worn down attempt at 3x8@80%1RM.

I would very much like to follow the logic of this series; can I, now? If so, is it probably fine on the diet (near PSMF level as I lose very slowly) or should I wait till I'm bulking, when it'll help soften the blow of volume increasing so much?

I could tolerate a little bit of wastage switching to the "longer term" method that'd leave me lots of room to escalate when I need it.
Unread 01-13-2010, 01:00 PM

I'm sensing an "It depends" but.... You mention somewhere in this series that neural adaptation happen first and that size comes afterwards. Is there a time frame on how long it takes for the size gaining to come into play? I'd aslo imagine this time frame being much shorter for the detrained as opposed to the untrained....is that a fair assumption?
Unread 01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Administrator

I'd have to check the litearature for completely untrained, I'd guess primarily neural for at least 4-6 weeks depending.

I suspect, and have commented on tis somewhere on the site, that one difference with detrained/returning ot training in terms of 'muscle memory' is that they move through neural adaptations faster the second time around.

Please note use of word 'suspect'.

Spinola, I ahve no idea what you're asking in the end of your post.
Unread 01-13-2010, 01:27 PM

One last question: You mentioned progression briefly,

Quote:
Essentially, start light and add weight gradually as long as technique stays solid.
Is there something that approaches optimal as far as a progression strategy is concerned. e.g. Starting Strength calls for an increase every workout, I've seen other beginner programs call for once a week, dual factor progression where reps are increased on a timed cycle and weight is increased at the start of a new cycle?

Basically, is there a progression strategy that is best for a beginner or is it highly individual?

Last edited by Underhanded : 01-13-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Unread 01-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Waiting for Part 4 primarily
Unread 01-13-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Waiting for Part 4 primarily
Oops, sorry. I glossed over the last sentence there. Thanks Lyle.
Unread 01-13-2010, 03:48 PM

Sorry; trimming away all the noise:

I'm still a beginner in muscle development and during a long initial diet have been doing 2x8 full body, 2x week, 80-85% 1RM.

1. Do you expect a significant growth-progress hit for beginners who started at 80%1RM switching to to 60%?

2. If you do expect one, should I put off switching until my diet's over, when a lull in effectiveness won't translate to LBM loss?
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Administrator

It would be overkill to take someone who had been working at 80% all the way back to 60% for the most part. A compromise might be in the 70% range for a few weeks building back up towards the previous work weights.

Though, if you do the math on deloading my generic bulk, if you back up to 80% of a previous 8 RM (~80% 1RM), that's .8*.8 = 64% of max for the first week.

So maybe not.
Unread 01-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Part 4 on the main site and it's way too long