BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Split squat won't give you the upper back training or lower back training of the deadlift.
Unread 06-27-2010, 11:40 AM

So make sure I'm getting rows and back extensions in? Anything else to make up for the "loss" of deadlifts? Not like was doing them much this time around. I won't go nuts with adding all of them in at once to make up for it, but will balance it out between my days of lifting.
Unread 04-08-2014, 07:51 PM

A question for Lyle on split squats; I know you mention elevating the rear foot as an option (and that setting up can be difficult), but do you believe bulgarian split squats to be better than a standard split squat (with the rear foot on the floor)? Supposedly the front leg works harder when the rear foot is elevated, but I have also read claims that elevating the foot as high as a bench can cause hyperextension in the lower lumbar vertebrae. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts, I'm currently using the split squat as my sole lower-body compound movement due to a limited access to weights, so looking to get most bang for my buck, and came across your excellent article.
Unread 04-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Administrator

I can see hyperextension being an issue if

1. You have the back leg very straight
2. You have very tight hip flexors
3. You use a bench that's way too high

So long as you avoid those three, I don't see hyperextension as an issue. I do think rear elevated split squat takes more balance (and it's harder to set up with heavier weights) than a standard split squat.
Unread 04-09-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
I can see hyperextension being an issue if

1. You have the back leg very straight
2. You have very tight hip flexors
3. You use a bench that's way too high

So long as you avoid those three, I don't see hyperextension as an issue. I do think rear elevated split squat takes more balance (and it's harder to set up with heavier weights) than a standard split squat.
Thank you for the quick response! Despite the balance issue, do you think rear foot elevated split squats are better than standard split squats, inasmuch that they supposedly work the front leg harder and allow less cheating/assistance from the back leg? Thank you once again.