BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Which isn't to say that excess carbs can't make you fat, it's just not through direct conversion to fat in humans (it is in rats, mice and hamsters, another place where animal studies have no relevance to humans).

Rather, it's be decreasing fat oxidation so that all the fat you're eating is getting stored. Basically both excess fat and carbs make you fat, but for different reasons. And then someone will ask "But what if I reduce fat to insanely low levels" Which is situation 2.
Unread 02-16-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Which isn't to say that excess carbs can't make you fat, it's just not through direct conversion to fat in humans (it is in rats, mice and hamsters, another place where animal studies have no relevance to humans).

Rather, it's be decreasing fat oxidation so that all the fat you're eating is getting stored. Basically both excess fat and carbs make you fat, but for different reasons. And then someone will ask "But what if I reduce fat to insanely low levels" Which is situation 2.
so explain us situation too...in curious lol...
Well I wonder if :

You said in the article that alchool doesn't have where to go ( you can't store it ) and you need to oxidize it...hmm and you also said that fast absorbing protein is beying oxidized more than slower digesting protein and daily it's oxidized almost half ( correct me if I am wrong) anyways can't we stop/minimize the protein oxidation in let's say this scenario:

pre wo or pwo: we ingest let's say 50 g of protein with 50 grams of carbs..and we use the alchool to stop the oxidation of the protein...

anyways as I saw that alchool puts the body in 100% oxidation of it, it will shut down the oxidation of other nutrients... can it be used to alter/minimize the protein oxidation?
Unread 02-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Administrator

I guessing you didn't pay attention to this:

"I’m going to ask readers not to read anything into the above paragraph, don’t infer or try to draw conclusions about how alcohol might or mightn’t fit into the diet in terms of anything. As it turns out, alcohol is an oddity among nutrients with seemingly contradictory effects on things. I’m going to address that in detail in a forthcoming article and, for now, just take the above as some much needed background information."

Because I knew, with 100% certainty that someone would ask exactly what you asked. and if I'd had any intention of addressing that type of thing, I wouldn't ave put in the above paragraph in the article.
Unread 02-16-2010, 03:11 PM

da*n lyle is a sorcerer he knows what people think j/k

well I've read the entire article but I was so curious about this that I forgot that paragraph xD
Unread 02-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Ive read some presumably silly articles about how "fat loading" and macrocycling increases fat oxidation

Since the article explains that fat oxidation is based on carb intake, all of the above is nonsense if I read correctly?
Unread 02-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Fat oxidation is not sensitive to fat intake. Rather, any effect is due to carbohydrate cycling. People have been confusing this for years which is why you still see the 'eat fat to burn fat' mantra. But it's wrong.

But consider that you see the same major shifts in fuel oxidation for

a. starvation
b. PSMF
c. high-fat ketogenic diet (even at maintenance calories)

In all 3 cases, resting RER/RQ (an indicator of fuel use) will drop and approach 0.7 (100% calories from fat) over time.

the commonality in those is NOT the presence of dietary fat. It's the absence of carbohydrate.
Unread 02-16-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
You would bet wrong. Because, think about it, if it worked that way, every overweight person eating big meal would be absorbing fewer calories and clearly that's not even remotely the case. Bigger meals just take longer to digest but the body's not going to 'waste food' because you ate a big meal.
No. I said "lower absorption rate". I'm betting that for very large meals, absorption may go from something like 95% down to 90%.

Just a small difference, not nearly enough to stop binge eaters from getting/staying fat.

On a side note, this is also a little bonus for all the "clean eating" nuts who eat a lot of high fiber whole grain type food.
Unread 02-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Administrator

I know what you said and I know what you meant, and you're still incorrect. The body isn't that dumb.
Unread 02-16-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I know what you said and I know what you meant, and you're still incorrect. The body isn't that dumb.
Something to back up your argument would be cool. Thanks.
Unread 02-16-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyer View Post
Something to back up your argument would be cool. Thanks.
Do you have anything to back up your argument other than beans and gummy bears?

I'm not really trying to be an I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. with that. Just saying that it goes both ways, I guess.

Last edited by Overkill : 02-16-2010 at 05:54 PM.