BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Administrator

That specific wasn't so much the overtraining bit as just flat out stupid.

her 'coach' was the Russian dude who had been a good skater but admitted that the warmup he had us doing was learned in 1972

Now I'm all for the basics but we do know a bit more in 2008 than 40 years ago.

So the basic gist was that my group (my coach and his skaters) and this other coach's group were going to train together for dryland training

so we'd jog
do a bunch of silly static and dynamic stretching, none of which was useful
a handful of drills

Now, note that most of my coach's group were realtively newbies which means learning drills ar CRUCIAL. And after 6 workouts, he said "The time for learning is over, now we train" Apparently you can master technique in only 6 times doing something. And we did each drill maybe once at each workout. Yeah.

then we'd do downtime drills, skate specific stuff. Very fatiguing.

than jumping. and he wanted everyone going into a sandpit for some idiotic reason. Hi logic was that jumping tired would make you have to concentrate more. Err, no, what it does is make you get hurt. Amusingly, he was one of the people who got injured by this. never learned.

And, at the end of all of this, the end of a 2 hour workout, he wanted to FINISH with all out 100m sprints as a competition bewteen us. 'Guys, guys, we must finish with speed so that is what the body remembers'. Except that you don't run sprints when you're tired. Cuz you get hurt. Which everyone did.

The guy was just an idiot all around. At one point he told the other skaters that they needed to lift weights. That on back extension they must use 50-60kg. No mention of building up to that. Just that weight. In the weight room, he had one skater take the leg press all the way back, had to really round the back to load up the ligaments. The guy got a back injury. On and on it went and I theorized that the guy was actually sent here by Russia to try and deliberately sabotage American skaters with idiotic training.

And whenever the stupidity would start, I would just claim to have a knee issue or something and beg out. And I'm the ONLY one who didn't get hurt that summer. What almost aggravaetd me more was that my coach said nothign. He was more concerned with 'team solidarity' (sorry, individual sport) than protecting his skaters. I was lucky enough to know enough to know better. But that's a different issue for a different day.

After having a couple of very loud arguments with my coach, we broke off from the guy. I basically forced the issue, I said we needed to rewrite the weekly schedule and I did it such that we could NOT train with this other coach.

The true stupidity with Eva started later, this coach (again, hadn't learned anything since 1972) believed that you couldn't overtrain if you weren't doing hard cardiovascular work. As long as it was just local leg training you couldn't physically overtrain. which is so so wrong. And proceeded to put Eva into a hole she never recovered from. And would tell her that she was just a weak female if she complained.

It was a nightmare to watch from the outside. Such a waste of talent.
Unread 02-23-2010, 08:19 PM

You helped edit? I hope you weren't in charge of grammar.
Unread 02-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Ha ha, you just made the list.

And it's easy to edit someone else's work. It's impossible to edit your own.
Unread 02-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned

Speedskating Spoiler: Don't highlight if you don't want to know

Talk about coach trouble, the world champion speedskating got disqualified.
His coach accidently pointed him to the wrong lane, absolutely hilarious.

Last edited by Elf : 02-24-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Unread 02-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Administrator

They are going to hang his coach when they get back to Holland
Unread 02-24-2010, 03:04 PM

I clicked on everything clickable.

I felt sick reading about the coach pointing to the wrong lane etc. Ugh. How horrible for the skater, but some say he should have known better too.
Unread 02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Administrator

I can go either way on it. An athlete in the zone can only do so many things and his focus should be on skating properly. The coach in speedskating has certain responsibility like lap times and such. And the coach blew it big time.
Unread 02-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

I can't speak for the entire country, but although speedskating is a big deal here I think there isn't any real anger involved.

Most think it's either hilarious, or feel sorry for the poor skater that lost his gold medal.
Unread 02-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Administrator

The reaction in Holland will likely be a bit more intense than that. Heads will roll.
Unread 03-02-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
That specific wasn't so much the overtraining bit as just flat out stupid.

her 'coach' was the Russian dude who had been a good skater but admitted that the warmup he had us doing was learned in 1972

Now I'm all for the basics but we do know a bit more in 2008 than 40 years ago.

So the basic gist was that my group (my coach and his skaters) and this other coach's group were going to train together for dryland training

so we'd jog
do a bunch of silly static and dynamic stretching, none of which was useful
a handful of drills

...bunch of other stuff
Wow. Cool insight. Lyle, just out of curiosity, do you think the Russian coach knew who you were (outside of speed skating) or how many years you've devoted to training/nutrition?

I'm just asking because I would think that some his drills and rational for certain things would be approached with a little anxiety, as in, "uh oh, I wonder if McDonald is gonna raise a fuss if I say this/that".