BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Default The Bodybugg/GoWearFit

Article on the main site
Unread 02-26-2010, 09:58 AM

I have had mine for about 2 weeks now and it's fascinating. As you mention in the article, if your lifestyle is fairly predictable, then after a few weeks it's pretty much the same-ole stuff. My side job, however, can be pretty crazy, so it's been interesting to me to see how much I burn at an average event when I'm photographing.

Based on my current rate of weight loss, it seems to be reasonably accurate as far as calories burned. And of course, the sleep info is pretty interesting as well.
Unread 02-26-2010, 10:17 AM

Will it give accurate numbers for people under 18?
Unread 02-26-2010, 10:57 AM

I've been wearing one for 3 weeks now and it is spot on. I have lost the amount of weight it has determined exactly. It really does give you a clear understanding of what activities produce a good calorie expenditure and which don't, plus logging your foods on a daily basis gives you a clear concise game plan for either weight loss, calculating refeeds or bulking. Also another feature not mentioned is the reporting that is available on the website that can give you 7, 14, 21 and 28 day reports on activity, meals, macro breakdowns of meals, etc. Overall an excellent tool.

Last edited by warenm : 02-26-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Unread 02-26-2010, 10:57 AM

Lyle you can actually buy these in the UK.

They are called Ki Fit. Same device as the bodybugg but just a different name.

I have had my Ki fit now for the past 5 days and I am considering getting a refund.

Firstly is because it cost 245 that is including the monitor, display and 3 months and for some reason I feel that is really expensive for a "guess".

Also over the last few days it has been saying I have been burning almost 4000 calories a day when in fact all I am doing is sitting on my arse all day in Uni.

Yesterday it said I did over 30 mins of vigorous activity when I did none of the sort.

For the price and the fact that I would only need it for a couple of weeks means I will be phoning them tomorrow for a full refund.
Unread 02-26-2010, 11:05 AM

Cool article. I've read stuff on the forum, but it was nice to hear your thoughts.

I'd love to have your take on a couple things though.

1) You mention that one person who used it found that (some sort of specific) yard work burned more calories than the same amount of time in the gym.
Just based off your experience/knowledge, do you feel that this is really the case, or that the Bodybugg could've been fooled by just a lot of arm movement (and possibly being out in the sun, heating skin/surface temperature?
2) Have you heard of any issues with the Bodybugg with people who have lower temperatures than normal?
My typical waking temperature ranges between ~96.5-97.7-ish. I know they take temperature into consideration in their calculations, but I wouldn't be too surprised if, in the algorithm, too broad of a range in temperature could really give incorrect results. As in, some of the calculations assume temperature of 98.3+/- .3 degrees, and more variations than that could screw up results. I was wondering if this would be the issue you talked about with thyroid output (or if that affected it through some other means).
Thanks, Lyle!
Unread 02-26-2010, 11:26 AM

Storm,
I can talk to both of your questions. I have found that the highest calorie burn that I've had so far was a day that I did yard work (cut grass, pulled weeds, etc.) and washed two cars. I think I went up to 3500 calories for that day, whereas a typical day of lifting plus 30 min. of SS puts me around 2500. As far as temperature, I track mine and a normal waking temp for me is 97.2. It's been up to 97.8 after refeeds but a normal day is low 97 to high 96's. So far, the GWF has predicted weight loss for me almost to the ounce. Has not been a problem.
Unread 02-26-2010, 11:48 AM

I can also speak to the housework/workout difference.

On a day that I work out at the gym (basic NROL weight routine, followed by 20-30 mins of ss-cardio), I will burn about 2300-2400 calories.

On a day that I do housework (cleaning bathrooms, up and down stairs, laundry, etc.), I'll burn 2800-3000 calories (or more, depending on how much work I'm doing).

My experience both manually estimating my burn and with my weight loss, this seems to be accurate.

Last edited by kara : 02-26-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Unread 02-27-2010, 11:55 AM

Thanks warenm and kara for the responses. I'm seriously going to consider one now. The thing I was most wondering about was my temperature and if that would affect it. Seems it might not be a potential weirdness confounder though.
Unread 03-01-2010, 01:15 PM

Neat article. I was eagerly awaiting the powerbike comparison... when I should have realized the GWF would throw zero results.

Typo police:
Quote:
For those people who just have to have a better value tahn what estimate equations provide
Quote:
Many people on forums have found that they cna raise calories