BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-24-2010, 06:45 PM

I've read both articles and still am a bit confused. In reference to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
So when you eat more carbs, you burn more carbs and burn less fat; eat less carbs and you burn less carbs and burn more fat. And don’t jump to the immediate conclusion that lowcarb diets are therefore superior for fat loss because lowcarb diets are also higher in fat intake (generally speaking). You’re burning more fat, but you’re also eating more. But that’s a topic that I’ve not only addressed previously on the site but may look at in more detail in a future article with this piece as background.
So let's say someone were to eat a 500 cal surplus made of protein and carbs and normal amounts of fats. So protein and carb oxidation would increase, and fat oxidation would decrease, and by the end of the day 500 cals of the fat you have eaten will be put into storage, which is about 56g of fat. But what happens if you haven't eaten 56g of fat in that day?

So let's say now someone were to eat a 500 cal SURPLUS made of protein and carbs but only trace, incidental amounts of fats, again accounting for the higher thermic effect of the protein and carbs. Protein and carb oxidation would still increase, and fat oxidation would also still decrease. Except now we're going to have 500 cals worth of aminos/glucose floating around.

Is this one of those rare cases in which de novo lipogenesis will occur?

Let's assume as well that glycogen and amino stores are full.

Last edited by Insight : 03-24-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Unread 03-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Yes, that is one of the rare situations where DNL ramps up.

Funny, the body is quite smart.
Unread 03-25-2010, 01:40 PM

I don't know about you but at 500 calories above maintenance for me it would be almost impossible to not have eaten more than 56g of fat at that point.

Last edited by Incindium : 03-25-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Unread 03-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Cap'n Crunch makes it oh so easy

And this whole silly confusion will be dealt with tomorrow. I seem to write in so much more of a focused way when I'm a bit annoyed.
Unread 03-26-2010, 07:49 AM

Sorry I wasn't clear in that I was referring to eating 500 calories over maintenance eating a protein only RFL type diet being impossible to keep fat under 56g which when rereading the post what was I was commenting on wasn't what was being discussed.
Unread 05-08-2010, 09:53 PM

So basically for a refeed w/ RFL for duration of time for regular fat oxidation/depletion, the excess protein/carb will not be converted to fat, if dietary fat intake is near zero?
Unread 05-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Administrator

C'mon, seriously. It's been discussed and the followup article I wrote on How We Get FAt discusses this.
Unread 01-17-2014, 01:31 PM

Can one overeat protein, break it down to glucose and use it for filling muscle glycogen?

For example by the end of the depletion phase of UD2 if you eat an insane amount of protein, 500 grams or so, would it be converted to glucose and stored as muscle glycogen? Fats would obviously be restricted as low as possible.

I'm wondering if you could partially replace carbs for glycogen supercompensation with protein? Would eating 16g/kg of carbs be necessary in a situation where protein consumption is super high?

I don't intend to do this, I'm just wondering if it's possible, from a purely theoretical standpoint.

And btw, I do food challenges and I'm absolutely certain that I COULD eat 1250g pure protein. It's an intriguing challenge
Unread 01-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Administrator

In premise yes. But you'd have to eat a ton and it's just a horribly inefficient and expensive (metabolically and financially) way to do it compared to just eating Cap'n Crunch.
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the quick response. I've never had cap'n crunch. They do look tasty.