BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Default How We Get Fat

Article on the main site
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:28 AM

Carbs donít make you fat via direct conversion and storage to fat; but excess carbs can still make you fat by blunting out the normal daily fat oxidation so that all of the fat youer eating is stored. Which is why a 500 cal surplus of fat and a 500 cal surplus of carbs can both make you fat; they just do it for different reasons through different mechanisms. The 500 calories of excess fat is simply stored; the excess 500 calories of carbs ensure that all the fat youre eating is stored because carb oxidation goes up and fat oxidation goes down. Got it? If not, re-read this paragraph until it sinks in.
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:29 AM

"I’d not before continuing that if folks"

note

"they would have realized the mistase they were making"

mistake

" whateever"

whatever

"For example, one popular book has as one of it’s many incorrect theses"

its (possessive pronoun)

Last edited by Daisygirl : 03-26-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:40 AM

"But for the most part, a lot of that it outside of our control."

is

"I’d note that you the same nutrient balance holds for protein, carbohydrates and alcohol"

remove "you"

"the normal daily fat oxidation so that all of the fat youer eating is stored."

you are

"the excess 500 calories of carbs ensure that all the fat youre eating is stored "

you are

I hope I'm not going overboard - tell me to shut up if you want! It's sort of compulsive - I'm a copy editor!

Last edited by Daisygirl : 03-26-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:45 AM

Really good article, Lyle, and timely. I imagine that (if people read it), it will really help them make direct connections about certain things in their heads. I read your articles and both message boards quite regularly, and even I was curious about some of the things you ended up clarifying in this article. Of course I knew that excess calories make us fat, and that ingesting more calories than we burn will result in fat storage regardless of macronutrient, but I just wasn't sure of the broadviews of the why's and how's. Thanks for clearing that up.
__________________________________________________ ________
Ticky-tack grammatical things:

Third full paragraph under "How We Get Fat Part 3":
When you eat dietary fat, itís [should be "its"] primary fate is storage as its intake has very little impact on fat oxidation (and donít ask me a bunch of questions about ďBut people say you have to eat fat to burn fat?Ē in the comments.
Tenth full paragraph under "How We Get Fat Part 3":
Ok, is the above clear enough? Because I canít really explain it any simpler but will try one last time using bullet points and an example. Letís assume someone is eating at exactly maintenance calories. Neither gaining nor losing fat. hereís what happens with excess calories. [leading letter of sentence isn't capitalized...or this sentence was replaced by the last sentence in the paragraph, but wasn't deleted] Assume that all three conditions represent identical increases in caloric intake, just from each of the different macros. Hereís what happens mechanistically and why all three still make you fat:
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisygirl View Post
I hope I'm not going overboard - tell me to shut up if you want! It's sort of compulsive - I'm a copy editor!
I see people point out things in the article like this, and I've always assumed it was wanted feedback. Obviously it doesn't matter to us (or the message of the article), but it's nice to have completely "clean" articles and such.

People I work with (ie: executive directors, medical writers, admin staff, etc) all make roughly same general grammatical errors, same as I do. I see it all the time. And nothing makes me cringe more than seeing something (something "official" anyway) that I wrote have some glaring mis-type or repeat of a word or whatever. I'm pretty sure it's literally unavoidable to have mistakes of that kind.

Last edited by Stormbringer : 03-26-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:54 AM

Great article! Sometimes we all need to have it "dumbed down!"
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Typos have all been corrected, thank you. I was writing in a bit of frustration last night which means I type faster than normal and make even more amusing typos and I was in an equal rush this morning so I didn't get a chance to edit.
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:35 AM

Thanks Lyle, this should be essential reading for anyone interested in body composition. I'll be referring a lot of friends to this article.
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Banned

In the article you stated "That exception is when dietary fat is below about 10% of total daily calories. Under that condition, the body ramps up de novo lipogenesis. So you still get fat."

Assume 10% of total daily calories means 10% of maint. calories, correct? (as opposed to 10% of diet level calories)