BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Default Biggest Loser Feedback

Article on the main site
Unread 05-18-2010, 12:05 PM

I think the BL trainers gave an emphasis on cardio activities more because aside from letting the dieters burn more calories, the possible weight gain of lbm or muscle mass alone will affect the scale weight which is what the show is all about. Again, great article Lyle.
Unread 05-18-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Paulo View Post
I think the BL trainers gave an emphasis on cardio activities more because aside from letting the dieters burn more calories, the possible weight gain of lbm or muscle mass alone will affect the scale weight which is what the show is all about. Again, great article Lyle.
I hate that part, the individual weight hasn't shifted as much, because he/she gain LBM during the diet (newbies).

They should start implementing LBM into the equation (bod pod)!
Unread 05-18-2010, 05:57 PM

VietgoBoi. Its not about the weights. Its about the ratings. All about the moneh.
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:16 PM
mcfc98

I think it's an interesting article.

I would love to see the follow up research on the exact reason why less weight is lost when reducing calories drastically in addition to increased activity.
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Read the RFL faq, esp. as that's NOT what the followup articles are going to address. At some point I will write that article but that's not what's going up Friday/Tuesday.
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayjeremy View Post
VietgoBoi. Its not about the weights. Its about the ratings. All about the moneh.
And the first time they kill someone on prime time tv (make no mistake, they will), ratings will soar. And that will be the end of it. Reality TV will become snuff television and there's no looking back from that.
Unread 05-19-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
And the first time they kill someone on prime time tv (make no mistake, they will), ratings will soar. And that will be the end of it. Reality TV will become snuff television and there's no looking back from that.
I can see this totally. Almost every season now they work someone out too hard from the first day and get them carted away in an ambulance. Not to mention the stress fractures and other nagging injuries the contestants get doing all the ridiculous crap those trainers put them through.

Getting the huge weight loss numbers and showing a huge transformation in little time is what keeps people watching I think. No one wants to watch obese people getting the results that are typical in everyday 'non gameshow' life.

The thing I hate about the show is the fact that when they get people to a level close to where they should be they don't adjust thier diet and routine to set them up for reality. The calories don't come up to a reasonable level, the exercise doesn't come down to something maintainable long term....it's really a set up for failure unless they figure out how to make it work on thier own. Some do, a lot dont.
Unread 05-19-2010, 07:14 AM
Administrator

That silly show with Shaq and Colker almost did it, sent a kid to the hospital with breathing problems first day. The whole thing is a nightmare.

And there was a good documentary about one of the show's winners a year back. He had gained it all back, saying that htey had given him NO tools for maintenance. Because you can't maintain 4-6 hours/day of exercise in the real world. And the show wanted him back for a reunion so now he needed to get it all back off again. And didn't know how. As well, his expectations were so skewed, after losing 10-15 lbs/week, a loss of 'only' 2-3 lbs/week seemed pointless to him.

The show is good television I suppose. But it's completely screwing up everybody's expectations of reality.
Unread 05-19-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
The show is good television I suppose. But it's completely screwing up everybody's expectations of reality.
The thing that irks me the most is that what is reasonable to expect is not even discussed on the broadcast. People busting butt to lose a pound or two a week are stting down watching that and feel like thier screwing up.

I guess the same can be said for all the muscle mags and supplement ads and the impression they leave on the ignorant as to what is reasonably possible.