BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-29-2010, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Default Training for General Health and Wellness

Q&A on the main site
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:16 AM

Thanks Lyle, I am very interested in this topic.

I find there is an element of targetless-ness though with the 'general wellness' which makes it different from other kinds of training. Part of it is saying, 'how do I know if I'm doing enough/ too much?'

So for the aerobic part, is it true that as long as you are sustaining a VO2 max that is good for your age group, how frequently you train doesn't matter so much?

Likewise if you are deadlifting 1.5 bodyweight, are you probably strong enough for wellness, even if you only train it once a week.

So this could get done in 2 sessions a week for maintenance, rather than the 5 sessions ACSM are proposing, or is there a further health benefit to frequency beyond strength and VO2max?
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Administrator

It's hard to say with strength since there is far less data but preventing a loss of muscle mass (sarcopenia) with aging is getting a lot of press.

And VO2 max is easy just because it's measurable, there is a current differentiation of metabolic vs. physical fitness. So from an insulin sensitivity standpoint, twice weekly for cardio probably wouldn't cut it, the effects are very acute and fairly short lived. Three times per week would be more appropriate.

Some data, and the set is pretty contentious does seem to link total weekly activity with overall health. I haven't looked at it in a while.

If it were me, I'd proabably hedge my bets with 2X/week weeights and 3X/week cardio for minimum even at maintenance.

I agree that there is a targetlessness to all of it.
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:46 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks Lyle
Unread 06-29-2010, 04:28 PM

Hi Lyle, thanks for the article.

A question I have about this and other articles where you mention % of Max HR is how you are doing the percent. What formula are you using?

Some do a straight calculation like
HRValue = PercentValue * MaxHR
Others do something with resting HR like
HRValue = RestHR + PercentValue * (MaxHR - RestHR)

For example if I use a max of 199 and a resting of 55 I see the following for your %60-85% range.
First calculation has a range of 119-170 BPM
Second calculation has a range of 141-177 BPM

I'm guessing it's the second one, since that seems to fall in the range (for me) of fat loss at the lowest -> Aerobic -> Just into Anaerobic at the highest.
Unread 06-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Administrator

No, the first one. The second is called the Karvonen equation or heart rate reserve. You use different percentages. The 65-85% or whatever I typed is just straight up %age times maximum. There are many problems with it.
Unread 06-29-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
That might mean 2-3 basic weight workouts per week and 3 cardiovascular fitness sessions per week. These workouts could be done on the same days (which can make for long workouts) or on different days (e.g. weights Mon/Wed/Fri or Mon/Fri and cardio on Tue/Thu/Sat).

Lyle, I think that's quite a lot of time for someone just aiming for general health and wellness.
What is your recommendation for someone who wants to (or can) only spend 3 x 1 hour / week on training (including warm-up)? How should these 3 hours be best used for cardio and resistance training?

Thanks!
Unread 06-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Split it half and half. 30' basic weight program + 30' cardio.
Unread 07-09-2010, 11:09 AM

With regards to health and wellness, could weight training done 3 times/week for 60 minutes/seesion at a brisk pace (to keep heart rate up) be enough for cardiovascular health and wellness?
Unread 07-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Administrator

It's a very good question. I'm not sure I have a very good answer.