BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-07-2010, 01:54 AM

It's interesting what you're saying there about estimated calorie burn with a polar HR monitor. I tend to get the same estimated calorie burn as you do at a heart rate of 160.(My weight is 80 kg, male)

My max HR is a bit lower than yours though(usually hit 182-185 at max effort) so 160 is a pretty high running pace for me. Even interval stuff rarely puts my HR higher than 177.

So my question is: Is it safe to assume that a polar HR monitor is more accurate for those with a lower max HR? What is the best way to estimate my calorie burn from running(I'm a decent level runner)?
Unread 07-07-2010, 04:13 AM

Is it correct to assume that using alternating sets burns more calories per workout than doing the exact same workout as straight sets? Or does it not matter much?
My own reasoning is that one tends to work with an idea of how much time to spend in the gym and you use up that time, which means that workout volume goes way up when alternating sets and down when using straight sets.. it is what may have caused the weight gain when changing from a largely BB-oriented workout (alternating sets, going to failure ) to a more Oly -oriented WO (straight sets, submaximal wts)

Re HR, it's what I've wondered frequently as well: my own maxHR for cycling was never higher than 175bpm (for running it goes slightly higher) and anaerobic threshold is around 160bpm.

Last edited by Espi : 07-07-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Administrator

As noted in the article, the calorie burn for weight training seems to be primarily for the 'on-time' when you're actually lifting. IF you keep moving more by supersetting or whatever, you should get a proportionally higher energy expenditure. How much I can't say.
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:07 AM

Lyle, you said during weight training, the calorie expenditure happens during the lifting part. Assuming, I'm doing your generic bulking routine at 85-90% intensity, my question is does intensity( weight on the bar) has any if there's any impact on extra calorie expenditure?
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:02 AM

When I had my GoWear Fit, I tended to burn the same number of calories per workout (an average of 5/cal per minute) regardless of if I was doing straight set of 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps with 1-2min rests in between sets, or supersetting my exercises. That being said, my supersetting workouts were shorter(so same burn in shorter time frame) as I used the same reps/sets just supersetted them instead.
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:33 AM

Wearing my Polar HR monitor during lifting I see that I don't burn many calories. Fitday says 81 calories for the 25 minutes I lifted (light), yet my Polar monitor said only 31 calories burned.

I remember tracking this several years ago, so if I can find the data I'll post here. I was lifting more intensely back then.
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Part 2
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
And the fairly depression conclusion
depressing
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Whoops. Thanks
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:59 AM

Under 'Summing Up', second paragraph, last sentence