BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Default Do I Need to Eat Fat to Burn Fat

Q&A on the main site
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:24 PM

Thanks Lyle. I'm curious is the lowered carb intake and then increased fat oxidation instant or does it take a while for the body to adapt and then increase fat burning? I'm guessing it takes some time as you'll need to burn off what ever carbs in your system that you have eaten before you stopped eating them. But is it hours, days or more?

One reason I ask as I'd thought about putting in some RFL type days into my flexible diet type plan to see if I can increase fat loss, particularly on days where I'm not exercising (running or lifting). I like the flexibility of my current diet especially having enough carbs for running, but I'd also like to increase the fat loss some.

No need to address the second part, because even without thinking about that I am interested in how long it takes.

Thanks,
Mike
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:30 PM

Read the other articles that were linked in this one. Fat oxidation will ramp up pretty quickly in the absence of carbs but its still calories that matter. Unless you're lean enough to start worrying about stubborn fat, I doubt it'd matter much beyond the caloric deficit.
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
Read the other articles that were linked in this one. Fat oxidation will ramp up pretty quickly in the absence of carbs but its still calories that matter. Unless you're lean enough to start worrying about stubborn fat, I doubt it'd matter much beyond the caloric deficit.
Thanks, rereading the article on oxidation does seem to imply that it's quick.

I had been under the impression (reading other books) before I read this and other articles by Lyle that it was the increased fat intake that made you burn more fat. Lowered carb intake makes much more sense for the cause than eating fat. Seems I also need to be more careful about some of my days of lower fat intake, I'll have to go back and check but I seem to remember some days of less than 10% on days where I both lifted and ran and increased the carb intake and thus lowered the fat on my diet a lot.
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Administrator

As to your other question, it's basically a continuum from the end of your last meal (which will provide nutrients for so many hours) through depletion of things like blood glucose (with liver glyogen emptying). By the time you get to say day 3 of fasting, you're at about 90% use of fatty acids and ketones. Between those times points, it's just a gradual shift. I can't find the graphic I want to demonstrate this right now.
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:40 PM

I don't understand. Outside of people who have problems with gluten, why do so many people follow Keto diets if they provide no additional fat oxidation compared to a normal carbohydrate diet? While I will say that I love carbs and can easily binge on carbs over the other macros, there's no way I can follow a Keto diet with the amount of exercise I do a week.
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyjr View Post
I don't understand. Outside of people who have problems with gluten, why do so many people follow Keto diets if they provide no additional fat oxidation compared to a normal carbohydrate diet? While I will say that I love carbs and can easily binge on carbs over the other macros, there's no way I can follow a Keto diet with the amount of exercise I do a week.
think of them as religious zealots, and just remember, you cannot fix stupid.
4. Use google as well - Add "site:lylemcdonald.com". Google can find those short strings of letters.
5. You are not a rodent so follow up with pubmed (http://pubmed.org) use "+human" "-rat" "-mouse" modifiers
6. Check the STICKY threads.
7. use google to find all my posts.
8. Supplement evidence
9. Private message are cheerfully ignored.
Unread 07-30-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyjr View Post
some feel better...it's not just about fat loss

and some are brain washed