BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-29-2010, 02:40 AM

Good article, and a wake-up call for me. I'm doing the typical EOD refeed / PSMF style diet but the last couple weeks after a diet break I tried to keep calories too low during the refeeds and added 60+ minutes of moderate cardio (heartrate = 170-180ish) on the diet days, which were sometimes less than 1000 calories as is. The only thing it resulted in was a binge. I'm starting to think at 150~ lbs 5'11, I should try to pack on some muscle instead of dieting anyway.
Unread 09-29-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4oclocker View Post
moderate cardio (heartrate = 170-180ish)
I'd call that higher than moderate. Definitely enough to interfere with, well, everything else.
Unread 09-29-2010, 11:18 AM

Question

Great article! I have questions for Lyle or anyone:

1.My workout is a tabata, alternating between a stationary bike and an elliptical, and 1,275 push ups, in a 1 to 50 ladder. I do this twice a week. Would this be considered "Lots of Activity?"

2.I eat 10 calories per lb., as suggested by Lyle. Is this ok, too little, too much?

Occasionally, I overeat in 1 or 2 meals per week but so far I am losing 1-3 lb. per week.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Unread 09-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Administrator

It's usually an issue of very high levels of activity being done daily in the context I was discussing it. So you get the folks doing 1-2 hours cardio on very low calories every day, etc. Twice/week clearly isn't causing problems or your weight wouldn't be dropping.
Unread 09-29-2010, 12:57 PM

i am the opposite, i haven't done any cardio/weight in the last 7 days. but i can see how some people may think more cardio helps, but at the same time its pretty much common sense that you will run your body into the ground over doing it on such low cals.

Great article Lyle!
Unread 09-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Administrator

As I am often fond of saying "Common sense isn't." people still fall into the trap that more is always better. And it usually backfires.
Unread 09-29-2010, 01:58 PM

Apologies if there is a better thread than this one, but in regards to LISS (say just walking on the treadmill as an example), is there a difference between these?
1) walking an hour all at once
2) walking 30 mins in the morning, 30 mins in the evening
3) same distance covered in either #1 or #2, but spread all day via an active job

All three assuming the same pace (although #3 at the same pace is probably unlikely in that context).

The above being specific to fat loss (external to the performance adaptations that occur for someone like a long distance runner after various time passed, but don't have as clear a picture in my head re fat loss).

I could see there being a difference if #2 were in the morning and using YC, as you are getting twice the time exposed to what is essentially one of the easy SFS protocols.

But I'm mostly interested in that the number one issue for cardio for me is that I get bored so fast - I've lost my long distance ability to concentrate. So doing one in the morning and one in the evening is more attractive b/c each one isn't as boring.
Unread 09-30-2010, 04:19 PM

Chilling out for those of us who are stress-ninnies or tightly wound is often something we know we "ought to" do, but rarely have the patience to make it happen. Which, of course, stresses us out more that we're not taking steps to reduce our stress.

It's both a vicious and hilariously stupid cycle.

Meditation? I've taken to yoga the last 2 years and find it really complementary to the cardio pounding I still give myself. But taking the next step to actual meditative sessions is the current goal. 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there, 10 minutes, et cetera.

I think in my usual overly aggressive analysis paralysis way I'll also spend some time reading research papers on the ability of meditation to reduce cortisol.

Thanks for the article, Lyle - it's another timely and well written piece, just as I have grown to expect.
Unread 09-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Banned

I will side with Lyle on the "more isn't always better" in developing muscle. When I was at 220 pounds and wanted to lose fat/gain muscle. I ate 600 calories less than my maintenance + low carb and I did hiit training for 30 min. 3x a week fasted 15min right after waking up with no food and than 30min. hiit 3x a week during the day after lunch.

I mean i went hard, i know people say "hiit" but i had my hr at 180 to 185, my max is 199. I was going crazy for about 2 months straight, i also worked out 4x a week with weights and i can say that my strength went down, my bench went down, squat, deadlift, everything. The only good thing that happened was my fat sunk like crazy and i lost like 40 pounds in those 2 months.

But my arms were small, my legs were small, I looked anorexic with a pot belly. It wasn't a good look. The only thing other than fat loss that going that hard with hiit did was develop my thighs and my endurance on cardio. I can run on the treadmill for an hour str8 now without a problem.

now I'm on ud2 and decrease my cardio to 3x a week 50min. but moderate intensity.
Unread 10-01-2010, 07:44 AM

I also have a question along the lines of the one asked by jigglypuffs: for an exclusive goal of fatloss, below let's say 70% MHR (or at any intensity below anaerobic threshold I would assume), does it simply boil down to calories expanded? So a 30-min brisk walk and a 2-hour leisurely stroll at a snail's pace, given same cal expenditure, are perfect equivalents for the aforementioned goal(given negligible EPOC)? See I'm trying to undo years of 60-70%-MHR-fat-burning-zone-1-sec-out-of-it-and-the-session-is-worthless mentality here. No intention of highjacking your question here jigglypuffs.