BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-26-2013, 03:18 PM

Do you find that this typically applies when the activity is in the form of NEAT/walking? I.e. a door to door salesperson would be contraindicated for big caloric deficits?
Unread 05-28-2013, 05:41 PM

I'm probably just hung up on semantics, but I'd figure I'd ask anyway.

No one (here) argues that large caloric deficits mixed with high training volumes, etc. is a good thing, and at best counterproductive.

What I'm wondering is if the stall on weight loss is strictly just the cortisol mediated water retention and the leptin resistance, or is it an actual weight loss stall. As in the body isn't losing any tissue at all? (assuming even with depressed metabolic rate, calories are still below maintenance.)

Or are these just factors that mask the weight loss that is still happening? (albeit on a more minor scale)
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:44 PM

Disregard my last post. That's a stupid question, of course that's not going to happen.
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:46 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. If you're truly still in a deficit, yes you're going to be losing "tissue" as you put it. That is, the energy gap must be filled by something, be it body-fat, muscle, and/or stored glycogen.

But that's not the point of the article. The problem isn't necessarily limited to the elevated cortisol levels or leptin resistance, but rather all of the other bad things that can accompany this kind of activity/stress. Things that will likely lead to reduced calorie expenditure (Reduced NEAT, reduced metabolic-rate), loss of strength (IE, loss of lean mass), etc.
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeltgen View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. If you're truly still in a deficit, yes you're going to be losing "tissue" as you put it. That is, the energy gap must be filled by something, be it body-fat, muscle, and/or stored glycogen.

But that's not the point of the article. The problem isn't necessarily limited to the elevated cortisol levels or leptin resistance, but rather all of the other bad things that can accompany this kind of activity/stress. Things that will likely lead to reduced calorie expenditure (Reduced NEAT, reduced metabolic-rate), loss of strength (IE, loss of lean mass), etc.
Right. Like I said I was just hung up on Lyle's choice of verbiage being "fat loss is stopped" and I know he gets pretty upset when people read too far into stuff. after a few minutes of mulling it over I realized that I had the complete wrong idea. Thanks for the reply though.
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:14 PM

Hmm. This has given me some interesting things to ponder re: managing activity and diet when you have a condition that basically results in chronic stress. I wonder how that interacts with the changes caused by exercise and diet.

(Specifically, I have severe psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, and even though I'm on a systemic treatment for it, the treatment isn't perfect and so I'm sure there's a lot of stress going on in the form of raised levels of inflammation and so on, just because my immune system is messed up.)
Unread 07-11-2013, 01:58 PM

So if you big caloric deficit can hurt fat loss why Lyle mention in discussion on metabolic damage that adaptive component in male with forced walking 2h per day and 50% deficit was only 15%. Elaborate please.
Unread 12-21-2014, 11:27 AM

Default not sure maybe its "squishy fat" also lol

seeing if I have this slightly.

My calories are pretty low like 2,000 carbs under 100 and protein around 250g

6'1"
190-195lbs

2 months ago i was sick and I was around 180 thats where I kinda was also without being sick. But now I started doing SFP 2.0 2x wk and training 4-5 days a week and my calories are nothing high. but my body weight has rose to 180 up to 195lb this morning doesn't make any sense?

My calories are so low and my gym intensity is pretty bad unless i use like 400mg of caffeine. Any help on how to go about this, to back increase my calories without gaining the weight? I used to be at 3,500 cal and around 178-182lbs. so I could not be that off. should I incorporate refeeds or just gradually increase cal or carbs? not sure was trying to stay under 100g carbs but that seems not to be working at all for my weight of mood any tips thanks a bunch.
Unread 12-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Administrator

10 cal/lb is not 'pretty low'.
Unread 12-21-2014, 02:00 PM

I understand just doesn't make sense why I'm eating 1,800-2,000 a day and gaining weight while doing 2x wk sfp 2.0 and 4 day training. When before I was 180lbs eating 3,500 and having 2 refeeds a week at 740-900g carbs. Metabolic slowdown from being sick??