BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Meee? Aspergers? Nahhhh....couldn't be.
Unread 07-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Banned

Kind of blending this series of posts with the latest one on Talent Vs. Work, do you expect that the Workhorse is probably more susceptible to Overtraining and Overreaching?
Unread 07-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Define 'susceptible'. And I explicitly stated that the workhorse was as likely to overtrain as anything else.
Unread 10-05-2012, 11:57 PM

I was reading over the overtraining series of articles...which are very helpful, and just had a question about this statement in particular:

So when athletes start to lose motivation, report problems with sleep or appetite, or just start to report feeling generally beat up or inflamed (there is often this sort of sub-chronic soreness that occurs, this is due to muscular inflammation), thatís often an indication that problems are beginning to start.

I'm curious about this sub-chronic soreness...is there any way to describe this?

I've been experiencing some, not really painful feelings, but fatigue and feelings of being inflammed in my legs for so long.

I'm pretty sure I am, or have been and it's just persisted because I've been too type A to take time off, overtrained. I have some body image issues, so there's been way too long on diets without breaks coupled with too many intense workouts in a row, plus lack of quality sleep and a very high stress lifestyle (it's my nature). Basically much of what you described in the article that causes more problems.

Anyway, guess I'm finally feeling it take it toll. I went for blood work about 3 months ago and found out I'm hypothyroid so they put me on synthroid 0.05mg. I've been on that for 2 months now and my levels are normal and I feel better...but still not great.

This is the first time I read something on this inflammation aspect though so really sparked my interest. I just really want to get this better as it's impacting my quality of life so much.

If I do a workout, I pretty much have to rest for a few hours (no walking, just sitting) in order to feel well again and not have this soreness. I'm finally taking time off, which I should have done so long ago.

Do you think that's all I need to do? Just time off and be patient? Or could this be something more perhaps I should be getting check out or doing?

I guess I just worry maybe there's other issues I could be missing.
Unread 10-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle83 View Post
I was reading over the overtraining series of articles...which are very helpful, and just had a question about this statement in particular:

So when athletes start to lose motivation, report problems with sleep or appetite, or just start to report feeling generally beat up or inflamed (there is often this sort of sub-chronic soreness that occurs, this is due to muscular inflammation), that’s often an indication that problems are beginning to start.
I'm curious about this sub-chronic soreness...is there any way to describe this?

Quote:
I've been experiencing some, not really painful feelings, but fatigue and feelings of being inflammed in my legs for so long.
That's how.
Unread 10-06-2012, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the reply.

So basically just rest, eat enough, and it should take care of itself?

It's to the point where even if I go walking around for 20 minutes shopping/running errands, I'm starting to feel it occurring. Should I be avoiding pretty much all activity until it subsides?

I just want it to get better and worry so much that basic activities are going to completely prevent me from healing.
Unread 10-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Administrator

I write my articles in excruciating detail to avoid having to simply repeat the text information here. I gave advice on what to do in the article so why are you asking me to repeat it?
Unread 10-11-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle83 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

So basically just rest, eat enough, and it should take care of itself?

It's to the point where even if I go walking around for 20 minutes shopping/running errands, I'm starting to feel it occurring. Should I be avoiding pretty much all activity until it subsides?

I just want it to get better and worry so much that basic activities are going to completely prevent me from healing.
Like lyle said read his article

Also if you want my opinion, your making a deal out of nothing, soreness happens, unless its pain and not soreness, there's no reason not to keep working out and eventually it will go away.
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:10 AM

I'm still dealing with what I believe to be OTS though I haven't been diagnosed by my neurologist. My main complaint has been a year long bout with quadricep soreness, despite no running since since July. I seemed to have "relapsed" my quads back into deeper states of soreness with the littlest activity. I have had and still fight depression, apathy, and sleep problems. Doctors have been a waste of time. I have been resting for months but instead of making progress, seem to be getting nowhere. When I say rest, I have been very careful yet have had quad pain and soreness come back worse. I'm scared something may be wrong with them but EMG and bloodwork are fine.
I got in touch with a Dr. Sean Richardson. I originally thought he was skilled at dealing with OTS but after a few emails, it appears he's trying to tell me that the depression is related to things in my past of mind and that I need to deal with them. While I know stuff like pride, wanting to be fast and accepted, etc. has driven me to run as much as I did even in the face of health problems, I don't see anything underlying in my life causing this depression. Is what he said true? I think I remember a study saying that the depression could be different than your usual depression and unknown mechanisms. I have had bad reactions to two different SSRIs. I'm having a hard time staying positive and getting help. I plan to contact a counselor at my work to talk to about my feelings of no hope. The last 6 months have been bad.

Last edited by randyjr : 01-04-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Unread 04-02-2014, 04:57 PM

While I eventually recovered from the massive symptoms stated above in 2012, I rushed back into running in addition to work related stairs climbing. While 9 months have passed between then and now, I've gotten myself back into another hole, while not as severe as last year, I definitely ain't myself. It all started with sleep difficulties, yet I ignored them again, amazing how you can go thru awful problems in your life and then fall back into the same thing (trust me, I of all people have done this with other things too .
Somewhere I've read that SOME people who truly go thru long term overtraining never return to the sport or take extended time off. I believe you stated you took 10 years off? Is that solely because they don't know how to balance the exercise/training with other life stressors? Why did you take time off?