BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizou View Post
Hi Lyle,

Thank you for that. I'll check that video out.
I've been putting the lid down when it comes to mowing, I take him to the other side of the house where he can't see the mower and only hear it, so i'm managing quite ok, and as i said with age he's calmed down so I've learnt to live with it. the problem is when the neighbours start mowing.
another one i watched here done by a vet was: he recorded the sound of a ride on mower in this case, and then kept playing the sound in a normal environment to the dog, inside the house for exmaple. so he got used to the sound after a while, and that helped too.
the other thing again is the ability to correct behaviours after 3 years, it gets hard near impossible, maybe possible for a top trainer but not for a normal dog owner....
I was going ot add that the recording idea is a good one but I'd go further than just playing it and doing nothing else. This is where counterconditioning/desensitization can be used. So get the recording of a lawn mower and start it at a low volume, while the dog listens to it give it treats so long as it stays calm. You apparently need to do this for extended periods for it to take, so go 10-20 minutes.

So long as the dog makes it through that, you can bump the volume slightly at the next learning trial and do teh same thing. So long as the dog is successful keep bringing up the volume gradually, treating the dog sporadically (every 10-15 seconds or whatever) during the noise. What you'er doing is gradually raising the intensity of the trigger while maintaining the dog's happiness (because it is getting treats).

If you can't easily control volume like that, you can put the dog in a room with closed doors away from the recording (if your domicile will allow it). So play the recording on the computer while the dog is behind a door in the bedroom to muffle the sound. Treat for 10-20 minutes solid. Next time, open the door. Or move the dog closer. Just so that it's building that emotional response (loud noise = good things if I stay calm) gradually and getting used to it.
Unread 05-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Part 10