BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Rapid Fat Loss Handbook
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-17-2017, 08:34 AM

Cool 40/60% LBM/FM. Am I losing too much lean body mass

Hi All,

First off, let me say I'm doing great on RFL. Started as Cat2 dieter 6 Weeks ago. Initial body weight was 83.6 kg (184.3lb) and 20.2% BF% (BIA and calipers agree within 1%). I'm doing full body workouts a la Stronglifts (Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Military Press and Bent Over Rows), but I reduced to 3x5 from 5x5 and to twice instead of three times a week, which is a 60% volume reduction, but keeping the weights pretty much near my maxs (130kg Deadlift, 105kg Squat, 65kg Bench, 45kg Press, 55kg Rows)

Today I checked in at 75.3kg (166lb) and 15.9% BF. Again BIA and Caliper agreeing within <1%. I'm feeling great and want to continue for 2 weeks more until the start of my summer vacation, which I will conveniently use as diet break, before probably doing the next stint in order to try reaching 12% BF.

So everything is fine and I wanted to thanks Lyle for such a great resource.

Now to my question: Am I losing too much lean body mass? I've lost 8.3 kg in 6 Weeks: 3.38 kg in LBM + 4.91 FatM. That's about 40/60 % LBM/FM of every kg dropped. It seems to me this is too much, since I read on the book or the website that 30/70 is more like the acceptable upper limit for lean mass loss.

I've been eating between 175 and 180g of protein per day (adjusting weekly as I lost weight), so I didn't expect to have such a high lean body mass loss in proportion to fat. Maybe I should up a little bit the protein intake?

I'd appreciate your comments.
Unread 07-17-2017, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Water and glycogen is LBM and that's most of it

Given that BIA sucks, realistically unless you're well trained, your caliper measurments do too

Edit do a refeed and all the LBM will come back. Simoply, in Cat 2, if you're doing the diet as written, skeletal muscle loss should approach NIL
Unread 07-18-2017, 04:02 AM

Hi Lyle, Thanks for your quick reply.

I forgot to mention in the original post that I'm male and 39 years old. Just for completeness' sake.

As for your suggestion: I am already doing the carb refeeds once per week as directed in the book. The only difference being that I found difficult to stuff myself with 400g of carbs in a 5-hour timeframe, so I start earlier (around lunch) but consuming the same amount of carbs (~3g/kg LBM). Are you suggesting I do a longer refeed (2 or 3 days, like a Cat 1 at the end of the diet)?
Unread 07-18-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardenalero View Post
Hi Lyle, Thanks for your quick reply.

I forgot to mention in the original post that I'm male and 39 years old. Just for completeness' sake.

As for your suggestion: I am already doing the carb refeeds once per week as directed in the book. The only difference being that I found difficult to stuff myself with 400g of carbs in a 5-hour timeframe, so I start earlier (around lunch) but consuming the same amount of carbs (~3g/kg LBM). Are you suggesting I do a longer refeed (2 or 3 days, like a Cat 1 at the end of the diet)?
No, he is saying that what you've lost, lbm wise, is just glycogen and water which is expected with all dieting, especially RFL due to lack of carbs. If you are doing a cat 2 diet, follow it and once you refeed glycogen and water (your lbm) will be refilled.

If you are following the book, you're fine. Don't stress over it and keep your intensity up in the gym.
Unread 07-18-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post
If you are following the book, you're fine. Don't stress over it and keep your intensity up in the gym.
I'm not stressing at all. Actually I think i'm cruising along quite nicely. I just wanted to clear this up. I'm not too worried because I have been able to keep mi lifts right up there where they were when I started.
Unread 07-18-2017, 11:05 PM

This used to always confuse me too. I'd do the math and figure out what weight I need to cut to in order to reach my goal bodyfat%.

Then you start dieting and the BIA will jump up! And you realize very quickly that you need to reach a lower bodyweight than you thought in order to hit your goal. But then you'll refeed and look good at a higher weight than you need to diet down to.

Example: You start at 180 and conclude you'll be lean at 160 based on the math. You really need to diet down to 150-155. Then refeed and look good at 155-160.

This all assuming your initial bodyfat estimate was solid. Most people tend to underestimate how fat they are

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 07-19-2017, 07:05 AM

This is why you diet down to a bodyfat percentage target instead of a target bodyweight.
Unread 07-19-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
This is why you diet down to a bodyfat percentage target instead of a target bodyweight.
Yes. Now I know. I started targeting 75 kg and then realized as I was approaching that weight, that I would not be anywhere near 10-12% BF. Today I checked in at 74.9 kg and 15.7% BF. So I still have quite a bit to go. If I continue at this rate, I would have to go as low as 69kg to reach 12% BF, which I don't think I have ever been at during my entire adult life