BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Default Normal weight men and women overestimate exercise energy expenditure

Research review on the main site
Unread 03-22-2011, 10:40 AM

It would be interesting to see the median guesses as to energy expenditures. The people where were guessing 3,000-4,000 calories really blew the average up.
Unread 03-22-2011, 01:23 PM

Default typo

First sentence of fifth paragraph from heading "The Paper"

(no clocks or watches could be seen)

"I knew you before you knew you had hands" ~Tracey Brogan
Unread 03-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Got it, thanks.
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:47 PM

My professor in bio-mechanics was talking about this article in class.
The professor then told a fun story and believes one of the reasons that the people overestimated may be due to their prior experiences on cardio machines. In his experience when he used to run a gym, certain manufacturers of cardio machines would display a larger proportion of calories burned than actually used in a certain period. Example - a person would be on the crosstrainer for an hour and the machine would show that the person used 1500 calories. Then the exercisers would try another machine - treadmill - for an hour and it would show more reasonable calories used - 400-600 calories. The exercisers would then tell the gym owners that the gym needs more cross trainers. The gym owners then would buy more cross trainers. All these people in the gym were saying I'm burning this many calories and the people were swearing they were eating less food than they were burning and no one could figure out why no one was losing weight. The exercise machine he was taling about also was the most popular machine in the gym. He said this was in the late 90s. Just wanted to share this story with the forum. Hopefully it makes sense.
Unread 03-30-2011, 01:08 AM

Wow. That's interesting. I wonder what kind of regulations, if any, there are about the accuracy of calories burned on something like a treadmill.
Unread 03-30-2011, 01:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_trembl View Post
Wow. That's interesting. I wonder what kind of regulations, if any, there are about the accuracy of calories burned on something like a treadmill.
None. A lot of machines really don't really have enough info to estimate calories burned accurately, so they make assumptions to calculate a number. It is probably in their interests to make every assumption possible that increases that number.
Unread 03-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Administrator

And I've seen it at least argued or asserted the ellipticals are notoriously bad for caloric expenditure estimations, going very high. I've never looked for validation of this one way or the other. I do know that for any given heart rate, the elliptical will give me a much higher calorie expenditure then either cycling (where I use my powermeter) or running.
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:11 PM

I completely agree at least anecdotaclly. I use elliptical, treadmill and bikes pretty often. I find I can burn as many (if not more) calories on the elliptical, based on the same inputs (weight/age - so the calculation presumably is the same if the formula is the same, which for the same machine manufacturer I assume is true) than on the treadmill for a given level of expenditure. Of course jumping from one machine to the next is far from a controlled expirement (of a single data point mind you) but over the course of several months/years I think I've got a decent handle on my energy output vs what the machine reads and the elliptical always shows a much greater number. On the flip side, I also feel like sometimes I kill myself on the bike and it the calorie increase ever so slowly, so who knows...
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:55 PM

I forget who makes them, but the ellipticals found in gyms in my area are fairly standard - for a similar, easy intensity, I burn about 10cal/min. I tried, what I think is a Nike elliptical in a different gym a few weeks ago. I burned about 4-5 cal/min on it with similar intensity.