BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Rapid Fat Loss Handbook
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-25-2017, 01:14 AM

Default Too much calories for RFL?

First my stats, I'm a 33 year male, 5'10", 253 pounds now down from 463, been weight training on and off years ago but for the majority of my weight loss it was cardio only due to several injuries one of them most recently.

According to inbody 2700 (which I don't trust completely) i'm 20% bf with a lean body weight of 200 pounds, so I set up the diet to try and get 200 - 220 grams of protein mainly from cottage cheese and chicken breasts, and 2 cups of skim milk which I know isn't in line with RFL but it helps tremendously with adherence for me.

The problem now is that my daily calories are 1650 - 1850 depending on amounts of food, which at 253 is 6.5-7.5 cal/pound, is that too much for a cat 2?
Unread 09-25-2017, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeratul View Post
I'm a 33 year male, 5'10"
Quote:
been weight training on and off years ago but for the majority of my weight loss it was cardio
Quote:
i'm 20% bf with a lean body weight of 200 pounds
You're kidding right? You seriously think you carry as much lean body weight as an elite bodybuilder given your height, your training status and... genetics? It's probably closer to 150, if you're lucky.

Last edited by Determinism : 09-25-2017 at 03:27 AM.
Unread 09-25-2017, 03:34 AM

yeah I know, that's why I said I didn't believe it, but I've done the test multiple times, always late am in a fasted state and the results were very close (differences were -+1 kg) and I thought even though it's probably too high that I should set my protein target according to it, you know.. err on the side of too much rather than too low
Unread 09-25-2017, 06:23 AM

Regardless of my bf% my point is: would eating that amount of calories be too high for RFL?
Unread 09-25-2017, 06:41 AM

Well, the whole point of RFL is to create the biggest deficit possible without losing LBM. Since you're both overestimating LBM and eating/drinking stuff that is not "allowed", you can't technically call it RFL.

However, it doesn't really matter how you call it. You're in a deficit and can expect to lose weight. Maybe not as fast as a true-RFL protocol, but at least you can adhere to it.
Unread 09-25-2017, 07:10 AM

First off, thanks for the quick reply.

I thought so too, but I figured adherence could make up for the smaller deficit in the long term.
Unread 09-25-2017, 11:44 AM

Set your protein intake based upon the BMI/BF% chart in the book. It is probably a lot more closer to your true numbers than the inbody 2700.
Unread 09-25-2017, 11:46 AM

This really isn't RFL in any shape or form. It's mainly just a flexible diet, especially on your 1800 calorie days. You'll definitely lose weight. But seriously, how can you call this RFL when your protein intake only accounts for ~50% of total calories. It's called a protein sparing modified FAST. Fasting means not eating. Protein - sparing means you are sparing muscle protein by eating the minimal amount of protein to maintain muscle mass.

I would highly advise you stick with your current diet if your adherence is good because RFL sucks and will burn you out and generally make your life miserable. But you can't even remotely call what you're doing RFL, sorry.
Unread 09-25-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
The problem now is that my daily calories are 1650 - 1850 depending on amounts of food, which at 253 is 6.5-7.5 cal/pound, is that too much for a cat 2?
By the book RFL calories aren't really a primary concern. You set your protein then try to keep carbs & fat grams under 5 per meal. When I've RFLed I generally cap both at around 25g per day no matter how many meals I eat. That does tend to limit how much cottage cheese and other higher protein dairy I can eat. If you're getting a large portion of your protein from cottage cheese and the milk you mentioned that's going to quickly bump up extra carb calories in the diet.

So end of the day adherence trumps doing a perfect RFL by the book. Do what you can stick to long term since you still have a ways to go.
Unread 09-25-2017, 09:34 PM

I agree with most of the sentiments above. Long term adherence is the key, especially when you've come so far already and don't want to crash & burn.

RFL doesn't really have a specific calorie goal, it's just meeting the correct protein intake for your LBM and activity level.

As a general dieting rule if you take your bodyweight in pounds and multiply it by 10 calories you will be in a nice size deficit for weight loss. Any less calories than this is a bit of an extreme approach and requires more attention to detail than most people seem to be willing to commit to.

Slow digesting casein protein found in milk & eggs are helpful. And nothing beats psyllium husk in my opinion.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.