BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-19-2018, 07:35 AM

Default Quadriceps and Hamstrings Proportionality

The first routine I did was very quadriceps dominant, it had no hamstrings exercises, only low-bar squats and deadlifts.

When I started the GBR, I wanted to get more proportional legs both in strength and size so I trained high bar squat and leg press at maintenance levels, while doing SLDL and leg curl.

I have seen on some websites that a good ratio is for leg curls to be 80% as strong as leg extensions. Is there a ratio I can aim for with squat/leg press to SLDL and/or leg curl?

My current numbers are (1 rep before failure):
Squat: 165 x 8
SLDL: 185 x 8
Leg Press: 340 x 12
Leg Curl: 12 x 85
Unread 06-26-2018, 12:25 PM

i cant answer your question but if you're doing low bar squats slightly below parallel you are getting plenty of hamstring activation. Then you're adding deadlifts for further hamstring work... with the numbers you are putting up I can't imagine why you'd need anymore leg lifting than this... just focus on adding weight to the bar and your hamstrings will grow plenty.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 06-26-2018, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately most of the quad:ham ratio data comes out of fairly specific types of machines, usually isokinetic types and it's really impossible to compare free weight stuff. You might get close cmoparing strength on leg extension/curl from the same company but even that's questionable depending on how the cams and stuff are set up

As well, most of this is about injury risk for sports and sprinting and stuff. For physique or appearance, use appearance as the metric rather than strength per se.
Unread 07-02-2018, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the response.
I won't worry about it then since I no longer play sports but I was able to test leg extension and leg curl machines from the same company.
My leg curl was about 64% of my leg extension.