BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-23-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaph View Post
Yeah, it can be a real lemon market for trainers, and yet like you said, 99% of people honestly need the help. I'd like to focus on compound barbell lifts mostly because they translate more easily between gyms (not every spot has Hammer Strength for instance), but finding the right coach is easier said than done.

But at least I have posting my vids online and hearing how horrific my form is to look forward to!
It is true that most self-taught people have horrific form. And also that most trainers can't or don't teach it either.

Unless you have a coach or trainer who you know you can trust (and have the funds, time availability, etc.) then the next best thing is what you are doing. Refer back to whatever site/book you get your info from, watch videos, take videos, maybe seek out advice from someone at the gym who looks like they know what they are doing (based on their form and programming, not necessarily their physique).

There's also another approach where you don't necessarily have to dive into all the barbell lifts right away. You can ease into the gym with machines and other easy to learn exercises while you do light form work with free weights, continue to learn, work on mobility, etc.
Unread 01-24-2018, 06:07 AM

@triliad I definitely anticipate moving more slowly with weights and always seeking to improve form. I do have concerns about getting into bad habits early.

@AlphaBettor Good point. I'm thinking that when I start at a different gym next month (the gym I'm taking the classes at is a Crossfit place and ultimately isn't a good fit for where I'm at right now), I'll do barbell lifts with lighter weights (maybe like a 3X10 or so where I'm completing the whole set without a ton of struggle) then do a set on machines with a heavier weight in the 8-12 range. Basically where I'm at right now, every direction is up; I can work on range, mobility, conditioning etc. and have a ton of room for improvement.
Unread 01-24-2018, 06:46 AM

While I agree that form needs to be adequate in terms of targeting sprecific muscle group (i.e. https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tr...the-pecs.html/), DON'T be too neurotic about your form.

Here's a very nice tip that I stole from Alex Viada:

"Perfect your form before adding the weight."

Good luck with that. I've seen precisely zero people lift with "perfect" form. Except Zach Gallmann when he squats. Screw that guy.

Is your form pretty solid and does it look like you can add some weight without injury?

Yes?

Cool. Add some damn weight.
Unread 01-24-2018, 08:36 AM

I understand what Alex is saying there but I also don't think it's very good advice for beginners (and in fairness to him, that advice is surely not directed at beginners.)

I'd rather see excellent form established early on. The weight will come but it's better to not have to try to undo bad habits that came from adding too much weight, too quickly.

This comes back to.. why not get a coach to help ingrain that excellent form early on... but it's hard to find a coach who can actually teach that. And we're right back to where we started.

edit: Maybe there's nothing really wrong with what's written, even for beginners. I guess it would depend on specifics, one of those "know it when you see it" kind of things.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 01-24-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Unread 01-24-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
I understand what Alex is saying there but I also don't think it's very good advice for beginners (and in fairness to him, that advice is surely not directed at beginners.)

I'd rather see excellent form established early on. The weight will come but it's better to not have to try to undo bad habits that came from adding too much weight, too quickly.

This comes back to.. why not get a coach to help ingrain that excellent form early on... but it's hard to find a coach who can actually teach that. And we're right back to where we started.

edit: Maybe there's nothing really wrong with what's written, even for beginners. I guess it would depend on specifics, one of those "know it when you see it" kind of things.
Agreed.

For beginners, I would also put much more focus on form, since beginners can grow even on sub-maximal loads.