BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-07-2018, 08:30 AM

Default A little curious about heart rate zones...

I wear a tracker w/HRM and I've watched it more lately because I'm hopefully recovering from some anemia. Had an iron infusion treatment mid December.

My thought was that as my body added red blood cells and such that I should see corresponding improvements; lower heart rate @ the same level of work, or higher level of work @ the same perceived exertion, better/quicker recovery, etc.

My HRM has been showing that I'm in Zone 5 for most of my spin class, as in 80% or more of the class duration.

One instructor yesterday repeated multiple times that Zone 5 is something so hard you hit shut down and you can only hold onto it for something like 30-60 seconds.

Calculated my zones using the Karvonen method w/55 as the RHR (higher than usual for me, but I had a nasty virus):

Zone 1: 117 to 128
Zone 2: 128 to 141
Zone 3: 141 to 153
Zone 4: 153 to 166
Zone 5: 166 to 178

That Zone 5 seems to match up pretty well with Zone 5 on my gadget. Recovering from being sick so last 3 classes:

3: Average 148/Max 181
2: Average 162/Max 186
1: Average 156/Max 198 (really?)

So was there a question in this novella?

Mostly curious if my calculation is wrong (is my calculated Zone 5 not my real Zone 5?) or is the instructor just defining Zone 5 differently?

FWIW my perception has been that I'm hitting the wall at 175 or higher. Didn't get nauseous or feel like I was going to pass out the last two classes (Yay!), but my recovery is still lagging.
Unread 02-07-2018, 06:31 PM

The wrist based HRM, if that is what you are using, seem not to work well during hard exercise. Mine (Fitbit ionic) seems reliable in most other circumstances. Maybe track resting HR or waking heart rate instead, or get a chest strap to wear during workouts, or check manually.
Unread 02-07-2018, 08:15 PM

What activity tracker are you using?
Unread 02-08-2018, 07:43 AM

It's a vivoactive HR.

From what I've read before it may be less accurate during passive monitoring because it doesn't actively check the heart rate as often, but is supposed to be more accurate when you set it for a particular workout because then it should be continuously monitoring the heart rate instead of every so many minutes.

I have a strap so I could sync that to my phone and run both during a class to check for accuracy.

The 198 reading seems pretty out there. Kind of like getting a max wattage around 400. Usually more like 325-350 so makes you wonder if it was just that bike that is off.

Any thoughts on the definition of Zone 5? As in would you call 90% to 100% of MHR what you can do for a minute or less?
Unread 02-08-2018, 09:28 AM

I just noticed you said it was during spin class.

If you're gripping anything, like the handlebars, that can throw wrist based optical heart rate monitors off.

They also suck at intervals.

If I'm reading your last post correctly, you're not starting a workout on the watch, you're just letting it monitor HR like it does all day long? If so, then yes, it's likely not reading continuously, which would be a major issue.

Try wearing the strap to compare, that should be spot on.
Unread 02-13-2018, 11:47 AM

Okay, so I checked the vivosmart HR against a chest strap. Seems to be pretty accurate. Only 1-2 BPM difference when I checked multiple times.

Max BPM Saturday was 184 and today was 178. Got max watts over 500 both days too.

So, good news...guess I am getting some improvement. Or I got bikes with generous watt meters twice in a row.

Still curious about the zone 5 interpretation though. Saturday I show 43 minutes in zone 5 and today 42 minutes in zone 5 for about an hour class.

Maybe my heart rate is just staying too high?