BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-20-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclist View Post
Listen, if you're not hungry enough to be able to eat that small amount of carbs, you obviously don't need a diet break for physiological reasons.

You said you're a cat 3 right? That means diet breaks are more psychological than physiological. And, from the sound of it, you're not taking a psychological break. Just sit back, relax, and try to hit maintenance for a bit.
well, actually in addition the psychological benefit, the full diet break is also supposed to "..help upregulate the metabolic rate (including nervous system output and thyroid hormones)..." according to Lyle in the RFL book.

So I was trying to follow the program as closely as possible. Yes, I am enjoying the 'break' - especially my natural peanut butter and apple, that's my favorite snack. As I said, I have accepted what carb intake I can achieve (while also trying to avoid grains) and I'm going with it...and it's fine.

Problem solved...thanks!
Unread 11-21-2010, 01:11 AM

Btw, if u read it said " carbohydrates to 100-150 at a minimum" So you are hopefully covering that.
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglypuffs View Post
On breaks, do you recommend cessation of EC usage for that period as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
I can go back and forth on that one and have no answer at this time.
Would you say the same about yohimbine?
Unread 11-27-2010, 02:05 PM

When finishing a very low-carb diet(say a SKD), Lyle says one option is to come off slowly, adding carbs in small increments, to avoid massive water retention and/or fat regain.

Wouldn't two weeks of 150-250g carbs(maintenance) ruin that 'add carbs slowly' idea?
Unread 11-28-2010, 08:59 AM

What do you mean "ruin it"? Either you add carbs slowly, or you go straight to maintenance. So yeah, I guess you "ruin" the first option by choosing the second since you can't do both at the same time.
Unread 11-29-2010, 04:23 AM

Its a break. Take a break.

Obsessing over details of what you eat co-insides with what most call a diet.

*inserts kit-kat*

Last edited by tayjeremy : 11-29-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Unread 04-25-2011, 01:00 PM

Default Eh

Was on UD2 and got sick last week, Thursday night was the worst. I finished the carb load and went to the doc's, he said it was bronchitis and told me to take two weeks off from the gym. I want to go in if I feel up to it but he has an MD for a reason so I didn't really want to argue with him. So I'm taking this time to be an accidental 2 week maintainance.

Two quesitons:
1)Is being sick going to affect anything?
2)Anyone here have any actual stories to show that they've busted a weightloss wall? I had stalled a little bit and I'm looking for reassurance that taking 2 weeks at maintainance is best for me instead of pushing through it.

Thanks in advance. I just feel really unproductive right now. The way I see it, if I'm at a deficit or a surplus (and lifting) I'm either losing fat or gaining muscle which are both positive steps. At maintainance... I just feel kinda useless.
Unread 04-25-2011, 01:40 PM

Regarding your second question, have you read the Flexible dieting book? You are doing something "positive" in maintenance as well. Even in the article, Lyle goes into physiological reasons why the maintenance break will help you (not just psychological reasons). Personally, scientific explanations like up-regulating hormones and such give me more reassurance than the anecdotal stories you are asking for.

You need two main exercises:
1. table push aways: When you start to get full, just push away from the table
2. Head shakes: when someone offeres you food not on your diet, twist your head right and then left and repeat going 'No thank you'.

Getting a 6 pack is mostly about losing fat.
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM

Yes I have. I like the scientific-y stuff too, if I didn't I wouldn't be reading his books. I like numbers even better though, that's why I asked for people's stories.
Unread 04-25-2011, 05:30 PM

I saw a chart at that literally showed an increase in resting metabolic rate for sickness and injury recovery. (it was probably at tnation or another generally questionable site). The increase was highest for burn victims, so try to get some of that. Balance that with possibly reduced activity.

But it's important to eat enough when you're sick. Or you'll stay sick. That's probably the overriding concern.