BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-15-2010, 04:44 PM

okay- more typos, sorry, I'm feeling anal today:

I used to work as personal trainer and in my twenties was in pretty good shape and fairly lean for a female - not perfect or contest shape, but decent. Grad school, work, life (no working out anymore/excuses) came after that period of training and on came the pounds!!
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:47 AM

Yeah, there's this cool little 'edit' button where you can go back and correct typos or clarify things in the original post.
Unread 11-16-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper View Post
LOL! I know, I know, people assume that if you're overweight that you overeat...which is not always the case
If you are overweight, it means you overate at some point.
Being sedentary doesn't make you gain weight, it only makes overeating easier.

If you gain weight on something like 1200 calories, it means
a) you're not really eating 1200 calories
b) you're not really eating 1200 calories
c) you're not really gaining weight (short term water changes)
d) your maintenance is < 1200 calories

Being overweight makes it harder to screw up your metabolism and not to mention your maintenance is higher anyway, so d usually isn't the case. Obviously not having a thyroid would make d the case.

In my own experience with overweight people, it has always been a/b.
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:25 PM

Kinda stopped replying when i read those response(s)...
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:03 PM

In my own experience with overweight people, it has always been a/b.[/quote]

Let me reiterate or maybe clear up what I said: I said (or at least was trying to say) right before RFL I was doing 1100-1200 calories a day..and I was doing that for about 8 months if I recall and the weight wasn't coming off (at least not in significant enough amounts and not fast enough).

I also said in the 3-4 years (grad school) prior to that 8-month or so period before RFL (which is when the weight came), I probably was overeating (1 large meal a day) or at least eating foods that were mostly refined carbs/sugar/bad fat (i.e junk), even if my everyday total calorie intake was not always necessarily super high and this type of eating was in addition to being sedentary.

And I think I said, that before the grad school years, I was working out, eating right and not overweight. So I went from healthy eating and working out, to no working out and eating junk and being sedentary. I have to disagree, I think being sedentary can make you gain weight depending on what state your body was in when you became sedentary - as obviously if you're eating the same calories being sedentary that you were eating when you were active, you're going to gain weight. And I believe I mentioned the hormone issues which I'm sure you know can affect your weight - although I am in no way attributing all of my weight gain to hormone issues, it just didn't help matters.

I was trying to give a timeline of the weight gain and my eating and exercise failings during that time that led to the weight gain. Apparently I was not successful in that endeavor and ended up being called a liar.

Even when I reduced the calories for those 8 months or so (and was halfway working out), I still didn't lose anything significant. And yes, during those 8 months or so before RFL I was indeed eating about 1100-1200 clean calories a day, I checked everything on Calorie King and measured and weighed everything and kept a food log - thank you very much - and I was fine, no hunger. But, I still wasn't losing weight fast enough. Which is why RFL wasn't that bad for me. So yes, it's harder for me to get in 2000 calories a day of very good food, as I'm sure you know, quality proteins and complex carbs keep you full longer.

This started over me asking about eating a bunch of sweet potatoes everyday to get my carbs and my point was that my body had gotten used to (probably at the expense of my LBM and a healthy metabolism) getting by on an insufficient amount of calories and that's why 7 d**n potatoes a day is a problem.

Hope that cleared it up.
Unread 11-17-2010, 10:18 AM

You haven't layed out the hormonal issues. For me, my hormonal issue is "being lazy". To some extent, "being a woman" counts as a hormonal issue, just due to monthly water weight swings. For others, the issue may be massive thyroid dysfunction.

But it doesn't matter.

It's okay for your maintenance to be less than a calculator tells you. If you're having trouble eating carbs:

1) a "serving" of sweet potato is probably way less than an actual whole sweet potato
2) You could probably drop down to 150g or so carbs (per the main sites full diet break article) and still have it count as a diet break.
Unread 11-17-2010, 11:50 AM

I had some estrogen imbalances and according to my doctor and blood test results, some other stress related hormone imbalances.

But anywho, as you mentioned, all water under the bridge and weight on the body at this point. Moving on...

I was just trying to work through getting the carbs without the grains. If it's okay for my maintenance calories to drop below what the calculator says, then I'm good to go. I was just concerned because my calories were calculated based on working out (weights and cardio) more than 3 times per week. So I just wanted to make sure eating less and working out more wouldn't cause any more 'damage' or backfire as it sometimes can when you aren't eating enough to support your activity - you end up burning through your LBM. But, I am keeping the protein up so I should be okay.

Basically, I already resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't going to get in the carbs/calories:

1) an 8 oz sweet potato is about 47g of carbs, I only eat one of those a day and I split it up over 2 meals. Or at least I planned to, as of day 3, I still haven't been able to work in the second serving
2) I did end up including grains, in the form of whole oats in the morning
3) I just don't meet the carb requirement during the break - I think I'm ending up at about 50-60 grams short, give or take.

Thanks!
Unread 11-17-2010, 06:24 PM

So eat an apple after each meal. Or have a proteinshake with 50g maltodextrin.

Last edited by curax : 11-17-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Unread 11-19-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curax View Post
So eat an apple after each meal. Or have a proteinshake with 50g maltodextrin.
I do 4 meals a day. I do an apple with breakfast, a 1/2 a sweet potato with my snack, an apple or banana with my lunch and then I'm supposed to eat the other half of the sweet potato with my dinner - but that never happens

So I am basically eating a nice serving of carbs at each meal - except dinner as I mentioned, just can't fit it in- by the time I come home from the gym it's too late to eat a 1/2 potato with my chicken and spinach and then go to bed. But, I'll keep trying to figure it all out.

Even a large apple (about 8 oz) is only about 32g of carbs, so even eating one at each of my 4 meals would only get me to 128g.

But, thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it. I have been looking into protein shakes as well, they may be a better option after the gym.

I'm sure I'll get it all worked out, thanks again.
Unread 11-19-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper View Post
I do 4 meals a day. I do an apple with breakfast, a 1/2 a sweet potato with my snack, an apple or banana with my lunch and then I'm supposed to eat the other half of the sweet potato with my dinner - but that never happens

So I am basically eating a nice serving of carbs at each meal - except dinner as I mentioned, just can't fit it in- by the time I come home from the gym it's too late to eat a 1/2 potato with my chicken and spinach and then go to bed. But, I'll keep trying to figure it all out.

Even a large apple (about 8 oz) is only about 32g of carbs, so even eating one at each of my 4 meals would only get me to 128g.

But, thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it. I have been looking into protein shakes as well, they may be a better option after the gym.

I'm sure I'll get it all worked out, thanks again.
Listen, if you're not hungry enough to be able to eat that small amount of carbs, you obviously don't need a diet break for physiological reasons.

You said you're a cat 3 right? That means diet breaks are more psychological than physiological. And, from the sound of it, you're not taking a psychological break. Just sit back, relax, and try to hit maintenance for a bit.