BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-01-2010, 10:29 PM

Default Any Benefit to an "Excessive" Caloric Surplus?

It is common for people to recommend those new to strength training to gain weight at a rate which exceeds the 1lb/week recommendation by Lyle. I understand that this amount will result in negligible increases in lean body mass. But are there any other benefits like increase recovery which could make such recommendations worth listening to? Or is it simply one of many cases where people just don't understand the subject matter in question?
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Banned

I think it stems from the powerlifting mentality....GOMAD and all that stupid sh*t.

All I know is the guys I see doing that DO tend to gain more strength BUT they also start to look fat.

I should note that is just a personal observation.
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Sure, you can get real fat real fast. And this is on the main site so, well...I'm getting tired of repeating myself for self-important lazy children.
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:48 PM

I've read most articles on mass gain on the main site, but including "general philosophies on mass gain" but they tended to be from a body composition not a performance perspective. If there is something I missed I'd appreciate a link.

I would assume based on what you said though that there is no advantage outside of any direct benefits (like decreased ROM) being fat may cause. So ideas that gaining 2lbs/week opposed to one aids in recovery and such is just nonsense.

Just seemed odd that it seemed to common a recommendation, with the idea that if you don't gain weight that fast you are not "doing the program" of Starting Strength or the like. I guess they are all just making stuff up though.
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
Just seemed odd that it seemed to common a recommendation, with the idea that if you don't gain weight that fast you are not "doing the program" of Starting Strength or the like. I guess they are all just making stuff up though.
Compared to what other common misperception? Take your pick. My favorite is "clean eating".
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
Compared to what other common misperception? Take your pick. My favorite is "clean eating".
Yeah, a lot of people believe a lot of silly nonsense. Just wanted some other opinions before I filed this away under that heading.
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:17 AM

The benefit? You get to eat more delicious food!
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:54 AM

The real benefit of excessive calorie surplus is both muscle & fat gain which will depend on many factors: amount of calorie surplus, current body composition, training status, your p-ratio, insulin sensitivity, type of training, etc.

Thus you may be able to get good strength gains as well however, strength gains doesn't imply muscle gains at the same time. It happens over the course of a period of time.
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Paulo View Post
The real benefit of excessive calorie surplus is both muscle & fat gain which will depend on many factors: amount of calorie surplus, current body composition, training status, your p-ratio, insulin sensitivity, type of training, etc.

Thus you may be able to get good strength gains as well however, strength gains doesn't imply muscle gains at the same time. It happens over the course of a period of time.
Wut?
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgofo View Post
Wut?
I'm not sure if it will help, but turning the avatars off in your cp may at least reduce the distraction of someone flexing with their drawz on their head.