BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-12-2019, 07:36 AM

Default Has this ever happened to anyone?

42y male
20%ish bf
165ish lbs
5'8
cat 2

On very low fat(30-40g), carbs(50-75), protein is about 1.5g per pound of lbm(about 200). It's not quite rfl clearly but couldn't be that far because I do low intensity steady state cardio for 45-60 minutes every other day(guessing 300-400 calorie expenditure). Workouts are similar to rfl but with a couple more sets of compound movements mon/wed/fri upper/lower ABA.

So I'm dieting along and the scale is barely moving from starting at 165-167 and I've never seen that happen to me before. Usually everything moves down a lot quicker, this isn't moving at all. I take a free meal here and there, nothing crazy and I did a 2 day refeed once in 5 weeks (I know, I know...I just thought I could defy physiology) but no movement on the scale happened after the 2 day refeed.

So I thought it's time for a 2 week controlled diet break because I'm stalling and let my body reset a bit. I calculated my maintenance to right about 2200 cals with p/200 c/230 f/55.

Yesterday was day one of the break and this morning I was 162.0...a drop of at least 3lbs overnight. I always weigh myself first thing in the morning after my morning "rituals".
I definitely thought I was going to spike up in weight with the introduction of carbs but the opposite happened.
Now I'm not quite sure what to do after today's refeed/maintenance. Keep it at 2 days and continue to diet or take the 2 week break.

I am cat 2 so technically I could diet on for a few more weeks before a break because I think I might have broken through the plateau.

Anybody have something similar happen or suggestions?

Last edited by mattymoose : 04-12-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Unread 04-13-2019, 06:52 AM

Are you new to weight training? The fat loss could be getting masked by muscle gain. It sounds like you were just due for a whoosh as well from the immediate weight loss on manintennace. If it were me and I weren’t having any other issues with dieting I would carry on for a few more weeks.
Unread 04-13-2019, 10:43 AM

Not new to weight training. Yesterday was second day of refeed and I dropped another couple of lbs this morning. First time I'm under 160 for awhile and I look a hell of a lot leaner, so I decided to go back in to diet mode as of today and I'm going to stick with it for at least 2 more weeks and refeed as necessary.

I've read about plateaus and whooshes before but never experienced one...feels good. It's so counterintuitive to normally thinking, "I gotta cut calories even more" but the opposite is true. Crazy when you experience it. Appreciate the feedback

Last edited by mattymoose : 04-13-2019 at 10:46 AM.