BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Rapid Fat Loss Handbook
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-23-2018, 04:09 PM

Default How does protein intake affect us?

on my 3rd round of PSMF now - already lost a ton of weight. Went from deep cat 2 around 210 (fully carbohydrated) to 185 now (fully ketogenic). I'm pushing cat 1 now at around 15-17% bf (I estimate).

Regarding protein - Lyle has recommended certain protein intake numbers for each category. Example for my estimated lean body mass and cat 2 is .9 anaerobic and 1.25 weight lifting. That gives a range of 144-200g of protein per day.

1) Am I considered "weight lifting" if I just workout 2x per week as I have been doing?
2) What is the overall NET impact of falling short of those numbers every day. For example, if I'm weight lifting and only getting 170g a day making me 30g short. Will my body start degrading? and if so, what would be my overall impact? What it be a huge hit on my LBM / strength /weight loss goals or a small one?

I mean this program works very well, but as I get leaner, protein becomes more and more important in larger quantities so I want to make sure that if I don't reach the exact targets I will be really hurting my progress.

Thanks in advance.
Unread 02-23-2018, 11:24 PM

1. Yes
2. Depends
Unread 02-24-2018, 11:05 AM

1. Ok
2. On?
Unread 02-24-2018, 01:23 PM

Regarding your second q, I'm no expert but I would guess that since your diet is a psmf ( very low fat and carb) then yes coming short on protein would gradually lead to muscle loss, both directly (not enough nutrient) and indirectly (impaired lifting recovery->less weight lifted).

Also, depending on whether or not you choose to do any cardio; the more you do the more important hitting your exact numbers are. Always along with lifting ofc.

I had my fair share with rfl and IME yes, the impact will grow bigger and nastier the further you progress into your rfl run if you're consistently lower on protein.

Why would you eat lower than the recommended amount if I may ask? It's not like you have lots of options. Plus, the very purpose of rfl is to lose fat as fast as possible whilst maintaining most if not all of your lbm ASSUMING you follow the guidelines to the T. Which means, eat all your protein

My ERFL log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=34596
Unread 02-24-2018, 04:15 PM

Honestly if you can't hit your protein numbers on cat 2, don't even try cat 1 RFL. The extra protein intake is ridiculous. Not to mention the leaner you get, the easier it is to lose muscle. You did great, what's the rush to lose that last little bit?
Unread 02-24-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaloum View Post

Why would you eat lower than the recommended amount if I may ask? It's not like you have lots of options. Plus, the very purpose of rfl is to lose fat as fast as possible whilst maintaining most if not all of your lbm ASSUMING you follow the guidelines to the T. Which means, eat all your protein
Thanks for your response. It's not intentional, it's just doing it so long now it wears me down so I add an extra full egg to my mountain of salty egg whites so I don't barf.

Quote:
Honestly if you can't hit your protein numbers on cat 2, don't even try cat 1 RFL. The extra protein intake is ridiculous. Not to mention the leaner you get, the easier it is to lose muscle. You did great, what's the rush to lose that last little bit?
Good point. I really want to get to 10%-11% bf and then start bulking but getting past 15% has been my plateau for so long.

I bought some low fat low carb (like 0.1g) dry pressed cottage cheese so I can make up my daily protein with that or plain protein shake.

I think sometime in the next couple of weeks or so after hitting cat 1 level, I'll take a week off then do a full cat 1 diet. I will switch over to just 500+g of chicken (or tilapia) and dry pressed cottage cheese and broccoli and just try to power through the next month of that.

Although when calculating that 300 g of protein is about 900g of chicken or 1550 cals per day so my caloric deficit would drop dramatically. I think this is why Lyle recommends UD 2.0 at this point.

thanks